Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rob & Tash Showmans

+35
gwr1475
Kiwiconnection
Jim the Shovel
Steve H
Mark the spark
Road loco
pemco
ChriX
SSGR
Rickster
showman shane
Heavyhaul
Capricorn1
LiveSteam
martinj
Brian M
MrStationHouse
the coleman
highpressure
ejparrott
iain
mikero
Steam Traction World
Graeme81
Tim Watson
Flasback
sonick45
Steve Traill
IanL
Kevster
Tony King
atomenter
bjwlancashire
lynnr
Robfishman
39 posters

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Rob & Tash Showmans - Page 18 Empty Re: Rob & Tash Showmans

Post  Robfishman Fri 22 Jul 2016, 10:32 am

Well yesterday was a milestone in the build.  After a trip to STW towers on Tuesday morning for some adjustment to the winch drum yesterday for the first time in a while, and on its own wheels the engine was pulled out of the workshop.  It was filthy and needed a good clean but looked great after a wipe over with a damp cloth.

Rob & Tash Showmans - Page 18 27851859023_c229d6ceb4_zSide by Rob Fish, on Flickr

Rob & Tash Showmans - Page 18 28435493966_c41a648a08_zUpdate by Rob Fish, on Flickr

Rob & Tash Showmans - Page 18 27851345764_91774b3eb7_zUpdate by Rob Fish, on Flickr

Rob & Tash Showmans - Page 18 28184761540_de180f66cb_zUpdate by Rob Fish, on Flickr

Rob & Tash Showmans - Page 18 28362953032_a3ac8a80c9_zUpdate by Rob Fish, on Flickr

There is still a fait bit to do, but it wont be long now.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Fri 22 Jul 2016, 7:09 pm

Looking great, be nice to have a STW showmans down this neck of the woods as I'm not sure there is one, could be wrong though.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Sat 23 Jul 2016, 8:52 am

Looks mighty fine there,Rob
Steve H Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2014-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel Sat 23 Jul 2016, 11:12 pm

It's all coming together very nicely. Nice work.

Jim
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2015-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Mon 01 Aug 2016, 7:03 pm

Thanks all.

Question for all of you who have finished and had your first boiler test.  The next item on my list is to fit the cleading, to do this quite a bit will need to come back off again.

Did your boiler inspectors want to see the boiler itself when the initial tests were carried out or is it safe to clad.

I've spoken to the Walker Midgley today and they are sending me a list of boiler inspectors and I guess all may have different requirements.  But what have you found when it came to the tests?

Also thinking out loud here, as I've been working on it a while is it worth getting a new 10 year test carried out at the same time, I've no idea what this entails, but I think I've had my boiler for over 3 years already, and by the start of next season I think its over 4 years. Ill need to check the paperwork on the age.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Mon 01 Aug 2016, 9:33 pm

Sent you a PM, Peter Hawkins I suspect will be your man, he does a fair few STW/MW engines around here so knows them well and be able to advise you Wink

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Mon 01 Aug 2016, 10:36 pm

Perfect thanks Chris, I'll give him a call.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Thu 04 Aug 2016, 9:09 pm

How much does it cost for an independant boiler inspector,im thinking of having mine done that way.
Thanks
Kev
Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Sun 07 Aug 2016, 9:44 pm

Sent you a PM as I expect it would depend on where your based and how far a boiler inspector would have to travel ??

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sat 13 Aug 2016, 5:46 pm

A bit of a technical question I'm in the process of fitting the starting valve and it would appear as if the ball holder should go in the hole in the cylinder, and I assume the spring remain on the outside of the cylinder to return the ball to the closed position

The holder is to big for the hole, before I make it larger, can anyone remember how it went together, and if any of you had to increase the hole.  Happy to increase it, but do t want to if I've misunderstood what's required as it would be game over for the cylinder.  Also anyone khow what size the hole should be?  

Rob & Tash Showmans - Page 18 28663733420_a368980259Untitled by Rob Fish, on Flickr
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sat 13 Aug 2016, 6:33 pm

Just read Kevin's post on the subject in his build diary. Yes I can see I need to drill the hole bigger.  Knew I'd find it after I'd posted the question.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Mon 15 Aug 2016, 9:04 pm

Yes drill hole slightly bigger also round off the ends of the flutes so they travel without binding.

If you can get another ball to hit to make the flange.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwiconnection Mon 15 Aug 2016, 10:19 pm

I also found that fitting a slightly stronger spring has made a big difference. It stopped the low pressure let by and gives a better feel when operating.
Kiwiconnection
Kiwiconnection

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sun 11 Dec 2016, 6:59 pm

Thanks Phil I did the same following your post.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sun 11 Dec 2016, 7:02 pm

I'm struggling a little to sort ot the correct arrangement for the governor.  See below. It seems to me something is not in the correct alignment as it's not lining up the the holes in the liner?  Does anyone know the correct alignment?  How should the liner and the brass piece at base of the shaft sit in relation to one another?

Rob & Tash Showmans - Page 18 31432367982_4078bcd9b3_zGovernor Base. by Robert R&N, on Flickr

Rob & Tash Showmans - Page 18 31432367862_5a5e92c580_zGovernor Base. by Robert R&N, on Flickr

Many thanks.

Rob.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Fri 30 Dec 2016, 8:12 pm

Couple of half days spent in the workshop over the last few days. Governor has been fitted, lubricator fitted but has a problem (waiting for STW Towers to reopen), and various parts fitted. A few updated images below.

Rob & Tash Showmans - Page 18 31836753472_494a902a7a_zUntitled by Robert R&N, on Flickr

Rob & Tash Showmans - Page 18 31611183350_91fea7f9bc_zUntitled by Robert R&N, on Flickr

Rob & Tash Showmans - Page 18 31611183320_0cc2f7dbe5_zUntitled by Robert R&N, on Flickr

Somehow I've got to fit the pipe from the boiler to the water gauge without taking everything off. Mine was a bit short and waiting for a replacement. I got the old off, but getting the new fitted will be interesting.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sat 07 Jan 2017, 5:22 pm

Has anyone else had a broblem fitting the gear guard on the diff side of their engine. The holes in the homplate don't line up with the brackets?

Thought as I'm waiting for the lubricator to come back I'd take the wheel off and fit it today. Lots oh head scratching later I put the wheel back on and the guard back on the shelf for another day.

Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Sat 07 Jan 2017, 8:52 pm

Nope no problem fitting mine.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Fri 27 Jan 2017, 2:08 pm

A quick update.

I had a problem fitting the fuse plug last week and with the help of a thread cutter I cleaned out the thread and was able to refit it. I put the front of the engine on a set of car ramps (on a couple pieced of wood to protect the rubber tyres. Its tight for space under there for those who have not climbed under. Its now fitted and ready run.

This weekend I hope to set the timing, which I am sure is simple, but reading the instructions sounded very complicated, and try running it on compressed air....watch this space.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Fri 27 Jan 2017, 6:54 pm

Robfishman wrote:

This weekend I hope to set the timing, which I am sure is simple, but reading the instructions sounded very complicated, and try running it on compressed air....watch this space.

Wow excellent, will we be seeing you at Bill Targett this year as thats only up the road from you Cool

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Fri 27 Jan 2017, 9:04 pm

Not sure, I've not applied anywhere as yet.

I hope to be at twyford waterworks either in steam if all goes to plan or static if not.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Fri 27 Jan 2017, 10:43 pm

Robfishman wrote:Not sure, I've not applied anywhere as yet.

I hope to be at twyford waterworks either in steam if all goes to plan or static if not.  

If thats the Spring Rally on the 7th May then I'll see you there as I'm all booked in (new one for us), then the weekend after its Bill Targett which is one of our favs, great atmosphere and lovely bunch.

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sat 28 Jan 2017, 12:05 pm

I've sent the form off for both the May and July open days so hope to be there.

I do have one small. DIY job to do first in that at the moment neither of the gates out of the garden are wide enough, so I've got to take down a section of wall and rebuilt to make one wider, and make a new gate.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Mon 06 Feb 2017, 10:45 pm

Had confirmation and will be at Twyford. Tried running on air on Sunday but had a couple of leaks where I had gaskets missing, safety valve and cylinder covers were the problem areas. I put them somewhere safe and couldn't find where I had put them, anyway I thought I'd give it a go anyway. I did find them after I decided to call it a day, but too late in the day so a job for the weekend and I'll give it another go.

Seemed to me when I tried to start it all the air went straight out the blastpipe, not sure why and so I need to give it a good going over to see what I've done wrong next weekend. It turns over by hand loveily and I was hoping to see it run under its own power.

I've got to be a bit careful as I had a problem with the lubricator and it's gone back for adjustment. It's not back yet so still having to do manually.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Tue 07 Feb 2017, 8:49 pm

[quote="Robfishman"]
Seemed to me when I tried to start it all the air went straight out the blastpipe, not sure why and so I need to give it a good going over to see what I've done wrong next weekend. It turns over by hand loveily and I was hoping to see it run under its own power.  

I tried running mine on air and it didn't like it. did what yours did and expelled the air too quickly and doesn't get lubricated properly..  I would opt for wet steam as I did and she turned over much better and free.

With regards to the timing. Its considered a black art to some but there is some pointers out there if you search google for
Ross Bishop - Stephenson’s Valve Gear.  

you can run the engine with the low pressure valve cover off and dampen the exhaust noise with a towel carefully placed over the block so it doesnt catch . This will make your engine run as a single and you can here the beat clearer.
Your aiming for a steady beat which is even on both strokes and the two chuffs sound the same. Not one louder than the other and evenly spaced. its takes some tinkering but with careful adjustments its not to difficult to achieve.  

It is imperative you have the crank in the correct position when making adjustments.  searching online will assist in doing this.

Make sure you have plenty of water in the glass. over half.
Heat her up nice and slow so your fully in control of the fire. no need to go mad with the coal and keep trying to turn her over on the fly wheel until she goes under her own steam. 40 on the clock upwards.

You can then maintain that size of fire and play around with the timing / leaks / getting water into the boiler without worrying about to much.

Building it is just the first chapter. running it is the rest of the novel.

enjoy.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next