Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

STW 2inch wagon control model project

3 posters

Go down

STW 2inch wagon control model project Empty STW 2inch wagon control model project

Post  craig@STW Sat 12 Jun 2010, 5:15 pm

our control models only ever get put together to the point that we can be sure things fit, but at the end of it all we also like to use them to help sell the remaining stock, so someone has to go back, take it all apart and paint it all up properly.

so, im going to be doing the honors and i'll be posting photos as i go.

i took the model home last weekend and spent the rest of the day making a work bench...

STW 2inch wagon control model project Hhh016-1

started stripping it down today.

just have a few rounded off heads on the spokes of one wheel to sort out but apart from that it's back in bits.

going to enlist the help of a power tool to clean up the wood before its varnished and i may take the wheel components back to work and "rumble" them clean which should also provide a good key for the paint. will have to do the rims by hand.

i have new/clean wood for the drop-down sides.

STW 2inch wagon control model project Wagon1001-1

STW 2inch wagon control model project Wagon1003-1

going to be using clear varnish on the wood, a maroon colour on the wheels and black on all the other metal work.
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

STW 2inch wagon control model project Empty Re: STW 2inch wagon control model project

Post  hughb Sat 12 Jun 2010, 8:49 pm

Hi

Good luck I hope to be working on mine soon ..What kind of varnish will you use?? Question
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

STW 2inch wagon control model project Empty Re: STW 2inch wagon control model project

Post  craig@STW Sat 12 Jun 2010, 10:20 pm

well i was supplied with a tin of "pay-less internal clear varnish" so we will see how it goes Neutral
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Sun 13 Jun 2010, 8:28 pm

Cool Cool Good luck
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Sun 11 Jul 2010, 6:56 pm

finally got some time to work on the control model.

sanded down all of the wooden chassis and managed to get two coats of varnish on.

STW 2inch wagon control model project JULY067

STW 2inch wagon control model project JULY063

STW 2inch wagon control model project JULY068-1

and started gluing the new sides ready for sanding and varnish...

STW 2inch wagon control model project JULY071-1

going to start painting some of the more basic parts next week (foot rest sub-frame, axles, springs etc) so i can start reassembly.
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Fri 16 Jul 2010, 10:12 pm

Hi looks good Cool
I will do mine but I have lost the first box affraid Embarassed Razz
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Sat 17 Jul 2010, 8:27 am

the control model now appears in our new advert in old glory magazine, complete with finger marks etc Shocked

should get some more doe this weekend, it will be needed at shows soon Cool
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Sun 18 Jul 2010, 4:24 pm

got some parts painted yesterday and managed to start reassembly today.

i've probably done the equivalent of kit two. deliberately leaving the wheels till last Rolling Eyes

not looking too bad...

STW 2inch wagon control model project Drngtrk020-1

STW 2inch wagon control model project Drngtrk015-1

STW 2inch wagon control model project Drngtrk017-1

craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Wed 21 Jul 2010, 8:41 pm

no rush they said, take your time they said. Cool then they tell you on Monday they want it for a show at the weekend Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

so the wagon has been re-assembled with the old side panels (after light sanding) and is off to a show this weekend. you cant really see any of the bits i've done Mad

it will be returning to be finished off Cool

STW 2inch wagon control model project Uuu011-1

STW 2inch wagon control model project Uuu009-1

PS: how long till someone comes on and says " when we said no rush we didn't think it would take you this long" etc. etc. Razz
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Wed 21 Jul 2010, 8:43 pm

although, strictly speaking it is a 3 month build so i've got 2 months left Laughing
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Thu 22 Jul 2010, 9:39 pm

craig@STW wrote:although, strictly speaking it is a 3 month build so i've got 2 months left Laughing

Hi Well I found my 3 rd kit now as for the time well done . like it Very Happy Rolling Eyes Wink Razz Cool
hughb
hughb

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Sun 05 Jun 2011, 6:34 pm

anyone remember the driving truck project i was doing ???

well with the open day next weekend it was time to get it done, so i've spent the weekend finishing it off...

STW 2inch wagon control model project 0040047-1

STW 2inch wagon control model project 0041012-1
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  andyc Mon 06 Jun 2011, 10:57 am

Hi Craig,

Have allen head bolts been used instead of rivet bolts on the wheels?. Truck is looking good though, don't suppose there's any open day special deals on one ??.

regards

Andy

andyc

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Mon 06 Jun 2011, 6:22 pm

the bolts on the wheels are dome headed with the Allen key holes in them (not sure what the proper name is.... dome head socket ???)

most customers would probably fill these in but the idea with this one is to let the customers see what they are getting and not over work it.

the paint is really just there to keep the rust away, you would be surprised at how quickly the unpainted control models start to rust.

open day specials ??? not my area, talk to Dean on that one Laughing Cool
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Mon 06 Jun 2011, 6:25 pm

also, if you do see this at the open day.... ignore the runs on the tank/seat Embarassed Embarassed

really peed me off that the paint ran Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad maybe have to re-do it after the open day.
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down