Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burrell Safety Valve

2 posters

Go down

Burrell Safety Valve Empty Burrell Safety Valve

Post  Eddie Mon 13 Mar 2023, 6:01 pm

I have got a Live Steam Model 4” Burrell agricultural engine. I am however having issues with the Safety Valve & wondered if anyone could help. On the underside of the Safety Valve is a cap, which covers the area where the spring is connected to the threaded adjuster. This cap however is dropping down when the engine is fired & everything expands. On one occasion this cap jammed down the side of the throttle shuttle block/valve causing the engine to run at full power. Therefore I had no way of shutting the engine down. Is this an issue that has been highlighted before & would purchasing a new Safety Valve be any different in its construction or is replacing it my only option? I would say that although this engine is quite old, it has only been steamed a handful of times.

Eddie

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2022-07-24

Back to top Go down

Burrell Safety Valve Empty Re: Burrell Safety Valve

Post  LiveSteam Thu 16 Mar 2023, 7:23 pm

Is it a STW engine or Modelworks one ?

I've got a very early modelworks one and theres no "cap" on the underside just the bolt which is recessed that secures the pin for the Safety valve spring thats attached on the other side of the plate ?

Have you got a picture ?

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Burrell Safety Valve Empty Burrell Safety Valve

Post  Eddie Fri 17 Mar 2023, 4:57 pm

Many thanks for your note stating that you probably have a similar Safety Valve to mine. As your Safety valve doesn’t have a cap covering the retaining nut, has given me the clarity that I can confidently remove the cap fitted I n my Safety valve. Doing this will avoid any risk of it become dislodged & ultimately jamming in my throttle linkage.
I tried to share a photo, but that wasn’t possible

Eddie

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2022-07-24

Back to top Go down

Burrell Safety Valve Empty Re: Burrell Safety Valve

Post  LiveSteam Fri 17 Mar 2023, 10:00 pm

Eddie wrote:
I tried to share a photo, but that wasn’t possible

You'll need to use the Host an image icon and upload it

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 778