Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Safety Valve

3 posters

Go down

Safety Valve Empty Safety Valve

Post  MrStationHouse Sat 16 Aug 2014, 9:06 pm

I am working up to running on air, working through the multiple leaks! I have solved most of them, but am left with one from the safety valve. I have lapped it in a fair bit but it still leaks, what did others find with air? Did the leaks go away with steam?

Simon

MrStationHouse

Number of posts : 314
Registration date : 2011-04-26

Back to top Go down

Safety Valve Empty Re: Safety Valve

Post  IanL Sun 17 Aug 2014, 8:19 pm

Hi Simon,
I have only steamed mine once , last Tuesday, the only leak I had on the safeties was the centre bolt which sealed once hot. The slide valve name plates held on with 4 brass screws all leaked but sealed when hot but I have today applied some sealer to their threads. Not sure what to do with the safety centre bolt as I do not want to move as it is set to the correct pressure.

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse Sun 17 Aug 2014, 9:21 pm

Hi Ian,

I had a leak from there S well, but as I had had my safety valve apart, I raised it with PTFe tape.

Best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Mon 18 Aug 2014, 3:25 pm

Andy had quite a bad leak from the bolt but it seems to have sorted itself out as I have to say most of them do under steam. Don't get too hung up on it. Get a fire in it and then see how they fare after a few goes. Then try and seal any that are left. I would say caution with attacking the actual pop assembly, that may make it worse. I have always had a good leak from the whistle valve but I am planning to get a new one at Dorset, maily to increase the flow but should also seal better.

Last edited by highpressure on Tue 19 Aug 2014, 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MrStationHouse Mon 18 Aug 2014, 9:24 pm

Thanks I think I will wait and see how I get on with steam, I need to fit the water pump and oiler before I can steam it though. But having seen it turn for the first time I am really encouraged to press on quickly for a steam up.

Best wishes
Simon

MrStationHouse

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Tue 19 Aug 2014, 8:24 am

"have always had a good leak from the whistle valve but I am planning to get a new one at Dorset, maily to increase the flow but should also seal better."

I could not get any flow through my whistle valve and I know others have had a similar issue. On examining mine I realised that as the push rod moved to lift the steel ball the rod was the same diameter as the hole through the PTFE seal. Hence it sealed itself as the ball was lifted. My solution was put the rod in the electric drill and turned one end down slightly so that it did not seal in the PTFE seat. It did not need much taking off and emery paper was all I used on the rod. Result the whistle now sounds but there is still a slight leak even on steam, hopefully this may settle down once I get the pressure up towards the safety valve level.

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down