Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lock Down 3 "Still Stuck at home"

4 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lock Down 3 "Still Stuck at home" - Page 2 Empty Re: Lock Down 3 "Still Stuck at home"

Post  Simon C Wed 31 Aug 2022, 9:52 pm

Had a chance to fire up on Monday ! Left me wishing I had stayed in bed !!
It was the first fire on the new rosebud grate and I was all set to report back on the results.
I lit up on wood as usual with only my extension chimney to aid with the draw on the fire with no noticeable change to the way it fired up.
At about 50 PSI I started to change over to the coal substitute and all was well up to about 100psi.
With the engine ticking over nicely and the pressure building steadily I was grinning like a Cheshire cat That will teach me.
The engine suddenly revs up and although it slowed when I pulled the regulator shut it would not stop unless I put the reverse lever in to the mid position.
Why does S**T like this happen when you have a really good deep fire in the hole ??
Once the fire and the pressure had gone a couple of hours later I took the safety valves off to check the puck was still in the correct place, it was.
What I did find was the 5 penny 'O' ring under the regulator plate had blown out ! Bummer, don't have a spare one so got to order a replacement.
Going to be sulking for a while about this one.
As I did not get more than a couple of hours on the rose bud, I will just have to have another go next weekend, work, whether and the postman permitting.

Lock Down 3 "Still Stuck at home" - Page 2 WoHi5Gzl

I bet you couldn't get one made this shape ! It seems to be a very hard compound.
Have fun and keep on steaming.
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

LiveSteam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Lock Down 3 "Still Stuck at home" - Page 2 Empty Re: Lock Down 3 "Still Stuck at home"

Post  LiveSteam Thu 01 Sep 2022, 9:34 pm

Yes I know how annoying that can be, had the puck grub screw fail on my Agri first thing on a Saturday morning just just after I'd pick up my wrist bands for the show, luckily it happened at rest, had a cracking fire went to pull away, nudged the reg forward and errrrrrr nothing, nudged it further forward and still nothing.
Borrowed a draw bar and got dragged back to base, shoved it in the gazebo and went and looked around the show for a couple hours, came back and pulled the safeties off, changed the allen grub screw with a Stainless M3 bolt, from memory, and re-lit the fire and was back out on the engine by 2:30pm.
Even managed to re-burn 75% of the old fire Laughing
This was the first time in 8yrs I've had a total failure requiring a tow back so I shouldn't complain really.

Hope you get your o-ring sorted soon.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 778
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2