Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

weighshaft bracket

3 posters

Go down

weighshaft bracket Empty weighshaft bracket

Post  Charles1234 Sun 22 Nov 2020, 9:10 pm

Hi
I am building a 4'' road loco and I am having a problem with the weighshaft bracket mounting. It is too high so I need to take about 1/8 inch from the internal radius in order to lower the bracket. I see from a much earlier post that Lynn had to do the same thing. Has anybody else had the same problem and if so did they get STW to do the work for them. I do have access to a milling machine but this is quite a tricky job to set up because it is not just simply taking 1/8 inch from the radius, you need to find the centre and then take 1/8 off which is different from just taking 1/8 off the radius , if that makes sense.
This is the first time I have ever posted someting on a forum so you have to bear with me.
Charles1234
Charles1234
Charles1234

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2013-07-01

http://www.salfordmill.com

Back to top Go down

weighshaft bracket Empty Re: weighshaft bracket

Post  Simon C Sun 22 Nov 2020, 9:32 pm

Charles1234 wrote:Hi
I am building a 4'' road loco and I am having a problem with the weighshaft bracket mounting. It is too high so I need to take about 1/8 inch from the internal radius in order to lower the bracket. I see from a much earlier post that Lynn had to do the same thing. Has anybody else had the same problem and if so did they get STW to do the work for them. I do have access to a milling machine but this is quite a tricky job to set up because it is not just simply taking 1/8 inch from the radius, you need to find the centre and then take 1/8 off  which is different from just taking 1/8 off the radius , if that makes sense.
This is the first time I have ever posted someting on a forum so you have to bear with me.
Charles1234

Hi Charles
I had the same problem with my showmans engine several years ago.
If I was you I would get in touch with STW in the morning and speak to Will about machining it to fit.
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Charles1234 Sun 22 Nov 2020, 9:56 pm

Thank you for that, I will contact STW in the morning
Charles1234
Charles1234

Back to top Go down

Post  the governer Mon 23 Nov 2020, 10:06 am

Charles I had the same, and also, too big for my mill. I set the bracket on the boiler, measured how much each valve rod was out, milled a register each end of the bracket, made a cardboard template of the curve of the boiler, and went at it with coarse grinding discs, took it down, just over, so jacking screws were used for alignment, did take hours to achieve, but "I did it", and enjoyed every "modification" during the build.
the governer
the governer

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2013-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Charles1234 Mon 23 Nov 2020, 10:28 am

Hi
Following on from my post last night, with regard to the weighshaft bracket being too high, I have now contacted Will at STW (thank you again Simon c ) and he was very helpful and said if I sent the bracket back to them it would be no trouble to machine 3mm from the base.
I would like to put some photos of my rebuild on the forum, and I notice there was a very useful post from Lynn about this, so I have now got the Photobucket app on my iphone but as yet I have not manage to take it further, but it was rather late last night when I was attempting to do it but I will have another go some time this week.
Charles
Thanks 'by the governor' for your advice
Charles1234
Charles1234

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down