Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sub assembly of boiler and hornplates

2 posters

Go down

Sub assembly of boiler and hornplates Empty Sub assembly of boiler and hornplates

Post  AlfieMoon Fri 10 Jul 2020, 12:44 pm

WE are just at the stage of working on the boiler, hornplates painted and crank template checked as okay as well as lifted boiler and horn plates in to chassis and seems to fit reasonably well.

However would like to know other builders experience in building the boiler as a sub assembly to be lifted in or fit the boiler and horn plates in chassis and build from there. Dean's explanation was he needed to get going and put the boiler in and put all the parts on from within the chassis.

Its a fair old weight to lift in as a sub assembly and not sure about the pipe work getting knocked.We lifted the part boiler and horn plates in using straps around the boiler and crank alignment tool and this worked well with an engine hoist.

If we install the block and crank and then install into the chassis, I will not be able to use this technique of lift.
What have other people done? Glad of your thoughts.
Peter

AlfieMoon

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2018-10-18

Back to top Go down

Sub assembly of boiler and hornplates Empty Re: Sub assembly of boiler and hornplates

Post  simonbos Fri 10 Jul 2020, 7:41 pm

Hi Peter
I just attached the hornplates to the boiler and lifted that in one go, and then attached all the remaining support brackets once in position. I felt there was enough weight with those items. It was easy to attach cylinder etc once the boiler was bolted in position with no risk of damage to anything else.
I did have to lift the boiler in and out several times as each time I put it in, it seemed to locate in a slightly different place! Only had to file the holes on the front cradle a bit to get alignment. I also had to grind some metal off of the sides of the front cradle to allow the boiler to drop in nicely - first time it went in it got jammed and I had a real struggle to get it out again. Perhaps I had a slightly larger diameter boiler?
I ended up not fitting the shims between the boiler and cradle.
Hope this helps with your decision.
Regards,
Simon

simonbos

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2012-09-20

AlfieMoon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Sub assembly of boiler and hornplates Empty Re: Sub assembly of boiler and hornplates

Post  AlfieMoon Tue 21 Jul 2020, 4:29 pm

Thank you Simon, might go the same way too/ though was thinking of putting the boiler in then the water tanks to give more manoeuvre in lining in the boiler and horn plates

On another topic, did you have a lot of side play with the front wheels on the axle stubs?
Ours move about 5mm, was thinking of putting washers behind the castle nut to take out some of this play.

Peter

AlfieMoon

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2018-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  simonbos Wed 22 Jul 2020, 7:11 pm

Hi Peter
I don't think putting the water tanks in will affect the boiler/hornplates as they are a lot further back and there is a fair bit of movement on the two tin sides where your feet go.
No, didn't have any problems with front axle wheel stubs.
Simon

simonbos

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2012-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down