Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hornplates - Kit 9

5 posters

Go down

Hornplates - Kit 9 Empty Hornplates - Kit 9

Post  milford59 Wed 19 Aug 2020, 10:14 pm

I am starting this thread for Kit 9, which I haven’t actually even opened yet, although it arrived today. If anyone has any tips for the hornplates kit, please add them here. I will post some pictures once I get off and running- I have a bit more work to do on Kit 8 before I start this one.

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Back to top Go down

Hornplates - Kit 9 Empty Hornplates

Post  Mike King Thu 20 Aug 2020, 7:24 am

i found that, I had to elongate some of the mounting holes, so things could be slightly adjusted to give correct crankshaft alighnment with the cylinder, to the dimensions of the crankshaft intructions. So its not much point putting the hornplates in permanently at this stage. Hope this helps, Mike

Last edited by Mike King on Thu 20 Aug 2020, 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Mike King

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2014-09-04

http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Hornplates - Kit 9 Empty Re: Hornplates - Kit 9

Post  milford59 Thu 20 Aug 2020, 11:39 am

Mike King wrote:i found that, I had to elongate some of the mounting holes, so things could be slightly adjusted to give correct crankshaft alighnment with the cylinder, to the dimensions of the crankshaft intructions. So its not much point putting the hornplates in permanently at this stage. Hope this helps, Mike

Thanks very much for that info Mike.

milford59

Mike King likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Wed 26 Aug 2020, 7:50 pm

What kind of Loctite is suggested for fixing the dummy rivets into the hornplates ?  The bearing grade that came in a previous kit ?  Also, I saw in ChrisX video that he ground flush the rivets on the inside of the hornplates.... is that what everyone does ?  My concern was whether the Loctite will be  strong enough to withstand the pressure of grinding down the protruding part of the rivets -  all tips and suggestions on these points will be very welcome !!

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Wed 26 Aug 2020, 8:11 pm

I remember using the bearing loctite in mine. I dont recall having to grind the rivets flat on the reverse side. Mine were reasonably flush. I had no issues at all with mine. If you do have to grind them flat I personally would think they would flatten ok.

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  Simon C Wed 26 Aug 2020, 8:46 pm

Hi Milford

"What kind of Loctite is suggested for fixing the dummy rivets into the hornplates ?  The bearing grade that came in a previous kit ?"

Yes is the answer to that part of your question.

The horn plates bolt on to the boiler through the centre of the stays around the firebox (see picture, i put sacrificial bolts in the holes to keep the paint out as you can see) and hence a gap of 4 or 5 mm between the back of the hornplate and the boiler exists so no need to grind on the rivets at the back at all.

Hornplates - Kit 9 OSnhcN0l

Hope that helps.
Simon
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Wed 26 Aug 2020, 11:07 pm

Simon, Mike... thank you very much for that information and the photo - that is helpful and I am now all set to tackle this kit !

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Fri 28 Aug 2020, 6:25 pm

I decided to use the slightly stronger Loctite, as the bearing grade is designed to be taken apart at a later stage. These rivets are going nowhere with this stuff. I cleaned up the hornplate with a paint removing disk in my angle grinder. I decided against the patio cleaner for these - I haven’t got a tray quite big enough, and I found the wheel spokes developed a bit of surface rust even though I thought I had dried them well with a heat gun.

Hornplates - Kit 9 Ea342210

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Sun 30 Aug 2020, 5:43 pm

I have made some more progress on the hornplates - next thing will be to offer the assembly up to the tender and see if it fits.... I note from the instructions that I am advised to grind off the excess threads on the bolts that come through the two milled out areas on the plates... I might get the cut-off wheel attached to my trusty Dremel to achieve this - how crucial is this operation  - it looks to me that it’s just the side of the firebox behind this area, and there should be a few mm clearance - those threads are sticking out about the same as the back of the big rivets....

Hornplates - Kit 9 C02e0b10

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Sun 30 Aug 2020, 5:51 pm

If you are referring to the large holes, the top one is for the diff assembly, which will in turn connect via a gear to your crankshaft. The lower one is for the wheel axle. Mike

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Sun 30 Aug 2020, 6:06 pm

Mike King wrote:If you are referring to the large holes, the top one is for the diff assembly, which will in turn connect via a gear to your crankshaft. The lower one is for the wheel axle. Mike

Thanks Mike, but I was referring to the threads that protrude from the nuts on the milled out area (shown in red in my picture). I am wondering if I really DO need to grind them down (as per the instructions) because it looks to me like they will clear ok on the side of the firebox (in the same way that the back of the large rivets will clear, as per Simon C’s earlier post in this thread)

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Sun 30 Aug 2020, 6:08 pm

I cant see any red on the pic. No worries. I dont recall having to grind any of mine down. Everything cleared ok. Mike

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Sun 30 Aug 2020, 6:10 pm

Mike King wrote:I cant see any red on the pic. No worries. I dont recall having to grind any of mine down. Everything cleared ok. Mike

Thank you very much Mike - I appreciate your speedy reply !

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Sun 30 Aug 2020, 6:13 pm

No worries. I completed mine a couple of years ago, so I'm delving into my memory a bit. Although, I just signed up again for the latest 2 inch run.. Mike

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Tue 15 Sep 2020, 6:15 pm

Can anyone give some guidance on the painting stages for the hornplate/spec plate assembly, bearing in mind what is to come in future kits.....I have primed and undercoated both hornplates and both spec plates and I have top coated the inside of the hornplates.... Is there much assembly / dis-assembly of this unit, or am I safe to topcoat the spec plates now ? (I am doing them bright red)

Thanks very much for any pictures / tips.

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  bazzer Wed 16 Sep 2020, 6:15 pm

Hi there,
The only suggestion I have is, when you come to fit the horn plates to the fire box you may find that the semicircular cutouts need to be fettled to fit around the rear axle bushes.
I painted my horn plates first but then found i had this problem when I came to fitting them, I think some others on the forum have had this as well.

Bazzer.
bazzer
bazzer

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2015-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Thu 17 Sep 2020, 5:15 pm

Thank you very much for that input Bazzer.

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeBelham Thu 17 Sep 2020, 9:32 pm

Thanks for a useful thread Very Happy
MikeBelham
MikeBelham

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2020-05-02

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Wed 02 Jun 2021, 6:09 pm

The hornplates have been re-assembled, ready to go onto the back of the boiler. Only the front spec plate, as per instructions. I think they will need a touch up of paint here and there, but that’s no problem. My son-in-law will come over soon and help lift it on. The bolts are tight on one side and a bit loose on the other side... hopefully it will go on easily and then I will check the measurement to the cylinder from the bearing carrier.

Hornplates - Kit 9 F53e6210

milford59

tef 20 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Thu 03 Jun 2021, 7:20 pm

I managed to get the hornplates on by myself, by resting them on some blocks of wood at the back- it was much easier than I expected. I haven’t yet done the measurement to the cylinder, so I guess I might have to remove it again and fettle the holes.....

Hornplates - Kit 9 6e483f10

milford59

tef 20 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Fri 04 Jun 2021, 6:50 pm

Close.....but not close enough !!

So this is the measurement, from the face of the rear cylinder cover, to the alignment bar, that is supposed to be 468mm +/- 2mm and I am at 464.5mm.

I tried whacking the hornplates back a bit with my rubber mallet to make sure they were back as far as possible but that only gained 1/2mm.

I will have to take the hornplates off again, and elongate the holes a bit....

Hornplates - Kit 9 4f5c9210

milford59

Mark the spark likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Sat 21 Aug 2021, 12:23 pm

Just to complete this thread, I had to elongate the holes and after plenty of fitting, measuring, elongating and refitting I eventually got the measurement that I wanted…. One other thing that’s worth mentioning for new builders - because the hornplates moved back a bit to get the right measurement, it meant that the hole in the bottom corner of the right-hand hornplate (looking from the rear) would foul the pipe that fits onto the boiler here, so that hole also needed fettling on the hornplate.

Hornplates - Kit 9 0e650510

milford59

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down