Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 1/2" Scale Foden SWB.

2 posters

Go down

4 1/2" Scale Foden SWB. Empty 4 1/2" Scale Foden SWB.

Post  Lady Martha Tue 07 Jul 2020, 11:03 pm

Hi All. I'm a newbie to the STW family just starting out on my adventure with a 4.5" Foden SWB. How many others are currently building one of these and how far along are you with yours.

Thanks Mathew.

Lady Martha

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2020-06-11

Back to top Go down

4 1/2" Scale Foden SWB. Empty Re: 4 1/2" Scale Foden SWB.

Post  atomenter Thu 09 Jul 2020, 7:57 am

Hi Mathew
Welcome to the gang.  I built my SWB a few years ago and welcome any queries on the build and running etc.  Have fun it's a great build.
Regards
Tom
atomenter
atomenter

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Martha Thu 09 Jul 2020, 9:58 pm

Hi Tom. Thanks for the welcome and offer of assistance if required. I am sure I've seen your foden in a YouTube video of summerlee steam fair last year. Did you do a build log during build noting any issues that arose. Thanks Mathew.

Lady Martha

Back to top Go down

Post  atomenter Fri 10 Jul 2020, 7:22 am

Hi Mathew
Yes I kept (and still do) a log of the build and all the running and shows attended. I also keep a note of total distance travelled going to the shows and a steaming log. It helps as the memory starts to go!!
Awra best
Tom
atomenter
atomenter

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Lady Martha Sun 12 Jul 2020, 6:55 pm

Hi Tom.

Hope you don't mind me picking your brains. I have done a dry assembly of kit 1 today and have a few questions/issues

I assembled the chassis rails to the cross members first followed by installing the boiler cradle.

1) I managed to fit the r/h chassis rail to the boiler cradle, with it flush on the front face and the top face with no issue. When I came to fit the opposite side it didn't line up at all. I had to pull the chassis rails together about 30mm and pull the cradle back in line as it was out by about 50mm. Did you have the same issue as this or do you think there is an issues with my kit.

2) Should the rear cross member sit flush with the rear of the chassis rails, as mine is stepped in by about 5mm.

3) The top plate on the rear towing bracket has 3 holes which match up with 3 holes in the chassis rails. Am I correct in thinking you use the front and middle holes on the top plate and the middle and rear holes on the chassis rails to attach as the description and illustrations supplied and a bit vague.

Thanks for your assistance on this.

Mathew.

Lady Martha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down