Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cylinder Lubrication Issues

2 posters

Go down

Cylinder Lubrication Issues Empty Cylinder Lubrication Issues

Post  spiritofkent Fri 08 May 2020, 12:18 am

Burrell 4 inch Agricultural Engine.

A word of warning to present builders if you have not already seen a post in this forum dated 2017 entitled 'PLEASE CHECK THIS' that when assembling your cylinder to check that the oilway leading from the lubricator discharge pipe via the non return valve on the top of the cylinder block to the steam chest is entirely free , open and  is not blocked with swarf and hard sand from the machining and casting processes . To check this there is a small grub screw which you are told to fit into a tapped hole just beneath the lubricator box on the rear face of the cylinder block. Before doing so get a small solid piece of wire or rod about 2mm in diameter and ensure that it is free to pass right through the hole until it can be seen just above the slide valve in the valve chest. If it is not easily pushed through the hole then it may be necessary to apply some force behind it or else resort to a drill to do so.

I speak from bitter experience having run for several hours before establishing that I was not using very much or  indeed any cylinder oil and this despite proving the lubricator worked before connecting up the non return valve in the top of the cylinder block. Do not naturally assume that the oil is going where it should....It remains to be seen if any permanent damage has been done to my engine. All for a few words of warning in the build notes to check this or indeed for this to have been checked prior to sending out to builders. Mad Question

spiritofkent

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2020-05-07

Mutleybob likes this post

Back to top Go down

Cylinder Lubrication Issues Empty Re: Cylinder Lubrication Issues

Post  MikeBelham Sat 09 May 2020, 11:17 am

Thanks for the warning
MikeBelham
MikeBelham

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2020-05-02