Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Final Drive Lubrication?

5 posters

Go down

Final Drive Lubrication? Empty Final Drive Lubrication?

Post  hydro9 Mon 23 May 2016, 4:57 pm

Fast approaching lighting the 1st fire in my BU4. I'm wondering about final drive lubrication and would welcome the opinion of more experienced builders/users.
Obviously oil is not practical for these gears because it's not going to stay in place which leaves me with grease.
These gears are exposed at the bottom beneath the gear guards (very near the ground) and I'm thinking that the grease is going to collect dust/grit, etc., which will become grinding past. Doesn't sound like a good thing.
Alternative is to just leave the gears dry. At least then any dirt will not stay put.
Is there a consensus on this subject? What do you guys do?

Chris

hydro9

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-04-20

Back to top Go down

Final Drive Lubrication? Empty Re: Final Drive Lubrication?

Post  Mark the spark Mon 23 May 2016, 5:30 pm

I have always used steam oil or 90 gear oil because it is thick and sticky but easer to clean off than grease
mark

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Tue 24 May 2016, 7:47 pm

On Crystal all I do is a good squirt of the steam oil before running for the day. Gives enough lubrication and does not gather grit.
With hundreds of miles on her clock the gears are fine.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Final Drive Lubrication? Empty Oil is best

Post  Steve Traill Tue 24 May 2016, 8:00 pm

Any thickish oil put on the gears is best as it's self cleaning, I only grease gears when there is no access, like in the RL diff. Greasing the wheel bushes is a good idea as the oil soon runs out on the wheels picking up dirt in the process.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Tue 24 May 2016, 9:17 pm

Same here, quick dollop of "universal steam" oil on the final drive cogs and diff is all I've done in 2 years and not so all seems fine.

Really want to avoid grease as it will just pick up every bit of dust and crud and turn it into a very effective grinding paste Shocked

As you're running you can generally tell when it needs another drop on them as they start to go a little shiney, well thats what I work on most of the time unless on a long road run, I just do the same as Lynnr.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down