Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lamps on your Burrells ?

+3
Robfishman
lynnr
LazySmurfer
7 posters

Go down

Lamps on your Burrells ? Empty Lamps on your Burrells ?

Post  LazySmurfer Thu 03 Nov 2016, 11:46 am

Anyone got or putting Lamps on their 4" Burrell Agricultural Traction Engines. Pics & how you have mounted them please Smile
LazySmurfer
LazySmurfer

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2016-10-21

Back to top Go down

Lamps on your Burrells ? Empty Re: Lamps on your Burrells ?

Post  lynnr Thu 03 Nov 2016, 1:22 pm

Tony King has done his.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sun 11 Dec 2016, 7:15 pm

I've a drawing somewhere with the setting out in on, I'll find it and post.

These are my lamps and bracket arrangement

Lamps on your Burrells ? 31542354316_b8b35f055c_zUntitled by Robert R&N, on Flickr
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sun 11 Dec 2016, 7:34 pm

Here we go, worth checking the lamps mounting bracket before making as some can be different and may need wider or narrower bracket.

Lamps on your Burrells ? 7567946866_648925a373Lamp brackets 2 by Rob Fish, on Flickr

Lamps on your Burrells ? 7441137630_402b72fd96Lamp Bracket by Rob Fish, on Flickr
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  LazySmurfer Sun 11 Dec 2016, 8:35 pm

Nice one, thank you Smile
LazySmurfer
LazySmurfer

Back to top Go down

Lamps on your Burrells ? Empty Lamps on your burrel

Post  David Mallinson Tue 13 Dec 2016, 4:50 pm

I have just made a set of lamp brackets for a customer they mount on the smoke box mid way up. Have a look at the photos on tractionenginelamps.com these are fitted on a foster 4" it has the same boiler dimensions.
All the best
Dave

David Mallinson

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2016-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick1020 Tue 13 Dec 2016, 10:40 pm

Hi There LazySmurfer, welcome & in joy your build,
Lamp brackets are supplied in the kit, the lamps are not,I used the MJ engineering ones Link http://www.mjeng.co.uk/mjsundries.html
Regards
Mick

Mick1020

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2015-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Wed 14 Dec 2016, 7:19 pm

What do you think of the MJ ones ? how well did they go together and have you a pic of them on the engine ?

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick1020 Wed 14 Dec 2016, 8:11 pm

Hi there Livesteam, I was very happy with the lamps, i soldered the parts & then painted, will get a few pics up at weekend

Mick1020

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Wed 14 Dec 2016, 9:48 pm

Be interested to see the finished article as I am very tempted with a set of MJ ones next year for the burrell.

Did you silver or soft solder them ?

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick1020 Wed 14 Dec 2016, 10:12 pm

I silver soldered the parts, you do get rivets in the kit for fixing parts together but i find silver soldering at lot faster than fixing with rivets. I did not get the oil burners so using night lights which on a night road run i found that the wax had spilled over in the lamp, the road had a few bumps, they were easy to clean out, due to this will be getting the oil burners next year from MJ

Mick1020

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Wed 14 Dec 2016, 11:45 pm

The MJ lights look great on the agricultural Burrell, one thing to watch is the lid is a push fit onto the body for inserting a night light or the oil lamp. Twice I'd been rattling along on a nice bit of fairly smooth tarmac when the lid popped off and went under the back wheel! (sod's law coming into play here) The first time I managed to persuade it back into a reasonable resemblance of it's first incarnation but the second time the loop handle over the top gave up the ghost. I then cut the handle off the other one to match!
I then locktited the top on both of them, that was about 7 years ago & it's still there.
The other strange anomaly with these lights is the springing mechanism. For some reason you get a stiff one & a floppy one, don't ask me why, Buzz has a pair & his are the same only he has a stiff right one & I have a stiff left one! Before the unplanned modification we could have swapped them to make a pair of stiff ones & a pair of floppy ones but not now.
Also I have fitted a little bolt on the side of the fixing bracket to the smokebox that locks into the light body. Just so any eager little hands at a Rally can't just lift them off when you're not looking. Great lights though!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  LazySmurfer Thu 15 Dec 2016, 5:57 pm

Lamps on your Burrells ? Img_0615

Just need a smokebox to fit them on  Very Happy
LazySmurfer
LazySmurfer

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Fri 16 Dec 2016, 9:05 pm

Mick1020 wrote:I silver soldered the parts, you do get rivets in the kit for fixing parts together but i find silver soldering at lot faster than fixing with rivets. I did not get the oil burners so using night lights which on a night road run i found that the wax had spilled over in the lamp, the road had a few bumps, they were easy to clean out, due to this will be getting the oil burners next year from MJ

My plan would be to whack a couple of 1W warm white LED's running off Li-ion batts with two modes, Beer tent gentle flicker mode, and full bore burn your eye balls out driving back from the beer tent mode Laughing

Steve Traill wrote:The MJ lights look great on the agricultural Burrell, one thing to watch is the lid is a push fit onto the body for inserting a night light or the oil lamp. Twice I'd been rattling along on a nice bit of fairly smooth tarmac when the lid popped off and went under the back wheel! (sod's law coming into play here) The first time I managed to persuade it back into a reasonable resemblance of it's first incarnation but the second time the loop handle over the top gave up the ghost. I then cut the handle off the other one to match!
I then locktited the top on both of them, that was about 7 years ago & it's still there.
The other strange anomaly with these lights is the springing mechanism. For some reason you get a stiff one & a floppy one, don't ask me why, Buzz has a pair & his are the same only he has a stiff right one & I have a stiff left one! Before the unplanned modification we could have swapped them to make a pair of stiff ones & a pair of floppy ones but not now.
Also I have fitted a little bolt on the side of the fixing bracket to the smokebox that locks into the light body. Just so any eager little hands at a Rally can't just lift them off when you're not looking. Great lights though!

mmmmmm thanks for the heads up on that.

LazySmurfer wrote:

Just need a smokebox to fit them on  Very Happy

Be interesting to see the build of these Smile

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down