Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Builder..

+6
Steam Traction World
Big Al
trainman1945
hughb
BUNGLE
LilyJack
10 posters

Go down

New Builder.. Empty New Builder..

Post  LilyJack Wed 01 Apr 2009, 4:42 pm

Hi guys and girls and modest tea and coffee making spouses.

Well, I've spent the last god knows how long looking through your forum and it'd seem you're all geared up in one way or another with expert advice so I'm prettttttttttty certain that at the end of this month I'll be looking at building the 2" Burrell.
I am a little wary though as I've been stung to a tune of near on a grand (don't ask further and I'll not swear and throw my laptop in anger) so I'd like some open and HONEST opinions with regards to the company, how do you all think they manage with customers etc. I know this seems like a very peculiar thing to ask but when you're parting with hard earned money, it'd be a bloomin nice change to know it's not going to go belly up at the 3rd or 4th hurdle.
Shocked

By the way, if the reply is a good one, I won't hesitate in this project, the wife'll kill me but I'm SURE there has to be some way of making sure all goes smoothly (bribery still works doesn't it???)

All the best..

LilyJack (the name my engine will be given after my late nan n pap) sunny

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

New Builder.. Empty Re: New Builder..

Post  BUNGLE Thu 02 Apr 2009, 9:35 pm

HI LILYJACK,
A BIG WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

RIGHT, AS IT SEEMS THAT ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE READ YOUR POST/QUESTION, BUT NOBODYS REPLIED TO YOU YET, GUESS TO GOING TO FALL TO ME Wink

FIRST POINT I WOULD SAY IS THAT MOST PEOPLE WOULD POSSIABLY FIND IT DIFFICULT TO SAY WHAT THEY THINK ABOUT A COMPANY, ON A WEBSITE RUN AND MODERATED BY THAT COMPANY !! ALTHOUGH FOR THE MOST PART THE STW GUYS TAKE IT AS IT IS.

BOTH STEVE AND DEAN KNOW THAT I TEND TO 'SAY THINGS AS I SEE THEM'. Laughing

RIGHT STW ARE MUCH BETTER THAN MODELWORKS EVER WERE.

EVEN AT MW's BEST THEY WERE CRAP, WE WERE TOLD LIES, NONE OF WHICH MATCHED UP, FROM PERSON TO PERSON, KITS NEVER ARRIVED, PARTS WERE AT TIMES RUBBISH.

STW TELL US THE TRUTH, IF THERES A PROB THEY TELL US, THE KITS ARRIVE ON AROUND A MONTHLY BASIS, AS THEY SHOULD, AND THE QUALITY OF THE PARTS ARE MUCH, MUCH BETTER.

STW IS STILL A YOUNG CONCERN, GROWING OUT OF THE ASHES OF MW (AT TIMES I WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY TO BURN MW MYSELF !!), THUS STILL HAVE IT'S PROBS TO OVERCOME, BUT ARE AWARE OF THAT.

IF ANYTHING, LIKE I POSTED ELSEWHERE (IN NEW PRODUCTS, I THINK), ONE OF THE BIG HURDLES THEY HAVE TO OVERCOME IS LOSING THE MILLSTONE OF MW's PAST.

HOPE THAT HELPS, I'VE TRYED TO BE FRANK, WITHOUT UPSETTING ANYBODY.

HOPE THAT OTHERS WILL NOW POST THE FEELINGS Wink

BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Thu 02 Apr 2009, 10:56 pm

Hi
Just found this now .I gess all that can be said has been : Smile Very Happy Mad
So all I can say is good luck and have a good build .If probs come up just let them Know .
hughb
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

New Builder.. Empty New Builder

Post  trainman1945 Thu 02 Apr 2009, 11:43 pm

I too have been thinking about getting a 2inch burrel fom STW and having been looking at the forum for the last few months to get a feel of some of the issues. It seems to me that most of late have been relatively minor but annoying when things don't fit or are incorrect. Many of the past problems (post modelworks) seemed to have been in part due to the hold up in the boilers but as new builders we would not get that. Dean did assure me that all previous faults would be corrected before new orders are shipped but I would still expect some to creep through. I am still debating whether to get this 2 inch version or get a smaller 1 inch kit as I like to use propane to fire....I play with my steam stuff in the basement as living in Wetern Canada it gets a bit snowy in the winter!! I was surprised at the weight of the 2 inch version and that is something I am still thinking about. I have had all different sizes of traction engines and love the ride on sizes but they are just too large to take around and certainly not for basement use!
I have found the forum very useful and wish all the buiders success and look forward to seeing some more photo's.
Trainman45

trainman1945

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

New Builder.. Empty Thanks, a relatively good enough answer for me..

Post  LilyJack Fri 03 Apr 2009, 7:44 am

Firstly I'd like to say thanks to those that responded, secondly apologies for any offence which may have been caused in asking such a direct and blunt question BUT, money is money as they say, bloomin harder to earn it than to spend it haha. Anyways, I'm coming over today (Friday 3rd) to discuss things further and maybe,JUUUUST maybe ( I can see its gonna happen actually ) I'll be walking away with a great big grin on my mush.

Take it easy and catch you all soon..

Best regards

LilyJack

LilyJack

Back to top Go down

New Builder.. Empty new builder

Post  Big Al Fri 03 Apr 2009, 1:02 pm

.....and a big hole in your wallet Very Happy

It will be worth it. I have every confidence in their ability to succeed along with al the other 40+ builders of the 2" Burrell (or we wouldn't still be here!!)

You will find it useful to read all the news about the 2" build as well as the 4" as there are many useful tips

Here's another one. - Dont permanenetly fix your Chimney to the stack and get a nice paint job because Kit 20 says you have to remove it to fit the blower pipe - Bugger!!

Alan

Big Al

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Fri 03 Apr 2009, 3:43 pm

Hi All,

We are happy to confirm that LilyJack left the factory today with 'a great big grin on his mush' and a kit 1 of the 2" Burrell in his hands.

Welcome aboard and all the best with the build.

Regards

Dean & Steve.

P.S. Your turn now Trainman45, a bit more difficult for you to visit and collect your kits but i'm sure you'll have every bit as much enjoyment.

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Manks Mon 27 Apr 2009, 5:26 pm

Hi All
I am thinking of building a 2" burrell and wanting to do it for some time now,im am 24 and would like to ask is it a difficult job?
I live in Camborne in Cornwall and every year i return from Trevithick day i want to give a build a go.Ive read some of the topics and see that you all help each other and feel i would have no problem in asking you guys for advise.

So if there is anyone out there that could answer my question i would be most thankfull.

Thanks

Manks

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-04-27

Back to top Go down

New Builder.. Empty Re New Builder

Post  Big Al Mon 27 Apr 2009, 5:43 pm

Manks

Go for it. You do not need many additional tools. I have a bench drill and have found that useful but not essential. Apart from basic tools, files, hammer, dremmel and the like you should be OK.
You will find that plenty of people are always willing to comment on this site and if it don't fit then you can be sure STW will know about it, and correct it, or someone will come up with a solution.
Not all the 2" kits are identical, Some of us had problems that others didn't encounter and most of which were due to the slight variations in the boilers. None of the issues are un solvable.
It is a big commitment and with patience you should end up with a good engine you can be proud of. It's good to see a 'youngster' interested as most of the builders on this site are a load of old fogies. (That'll attract some comment hehe!) and most of them are shite at spelling! (more comments)

Alan

Big Al

Number of posts : 147

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Mon 27 Apr 2009, 5:56 pm

HI MANKS,
KINDA DEPENDS ON YOUR 'LIFE' EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE, TO SOME EXTENT I GUESS, IF YOU HAVE AN ENGINEERING BACKGROUND, IT WOULD BE EASIER, IF YOU HAVE A KNOWLEDGE OF ROAD STEAM IT WOULD EASIER, IF YOU HAVE A GOOD WORKSHOP TO FETTLE BITS/MAKE MODS TO SUIT YOU, IT WOULD BE EASIER. BUT NONE OF THAT IS NECESSARY, AS SOME OF THE BUILDERS CURRENTLY DON'T HAVE SOME OR ALL OF THE ABOVE.
AND AS YOU RIGHTLY SAY WE DO ALL TRY TO HELP EACH OTHER WITH ANY PROBS, AND OF COURSE STEVE IS GOOD WITH ANY TECH STUFF (DEAN WON'T MIND ME SAYING STEVE IS THE MORE TECHINCAL ON OUR STUFF).

SO DIVE IN AND FILL YOUR BOOTS.

REGARDS
BUNGLE

Last edited by BUNGLE on Mon 27 Apr 2009, 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Mon 27 Apr 2009, 5:58 pm

AL,
YES TO OLD FOGIE

YES TO CRAP AT SPELLING (DID I SPELL THAT RIGHT-LOL!)

SO NO COMMENTS FROM ME

BUNGLE

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Mon 27 Apr 2009, 7:18 pm

Hiya Manks....

Well, when I first popped my ugly mush on here a very short time ago with a view/interest in building a scale trakshun enjin, I asked the age old blunt question of "what are they like etc as a company blah blah blah". I was pleasantly suprised upon visiting the actual site, we're talking a very decent production site with some good workmanship and skilled craftsmen in this business. So, from someone thats just collected kits 2 and 3 together (one kit at a time just aint gonna be enough for me ), I'll say this, if you're seriously thinking about building this 2" Burrell chap and obviously have the financial means to do so then GO FOR IT.

Theres plenty of ugly ole buggers on here that are more than willing to give you advice as they have done with me, sometimes a little blunt but genuinely sound advice none the less.
The company itself will ALWAYS assist as they can, Dean and Steve seem a decent pair of chaps that'll help in any way they can and always make you feel welcome if you pop in (as i do coz i pick me kits up in person n they offer a cuppa too).

Hope to hear from you again with some good news, it'll also mean I'm no longer the "Newbie-Builder" in the ranks too haha!!

Take it easy,
Best Regards

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyT Mon 27 Apr 2009, 9:05 pm

Hi Manks

Welcome to the club,you will find it helpful in all ways.

You say that you live in Camborne and I live in Truro,so if you want to come and have a look at my engine,have a chat,fag and beer,you'll be welcome.

I'll send you a PM with my number.

cheer's Tony Smile
TonyT
TonyT

Number of posts : 134

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Tue 28 Apr 2009, 7:50 pm

Hi Manks
Welcom here lots to look at . Also good advice on this forum. Good luck with the job .
All I can say is yes it is a lot I have had my ups and downs {Sad} .But Had fun Razz .Pluss STW will help as well .
I say do it Looking forward to your posts
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  BUNGLE Tue 28 Apr 2009, 10:57 pm

LILYJACK,

YOU WILL STILL ONLY BE IN NAPPYS FOR A WHILE YET !!!!!!!!!! LOL

BUNGLE

P.S LOOK OUT CHAPS THE CORNISH ARE GANGING UP ON US lol!

BUNGLE

Back to top Go down

Post  ALZ MINI Wed 02 Dec 2009, 7:12 pm

Just thought I'd say hello,

I've been following your forum over the summer, and so far very impressed with everyones feedback on the kits. I have a 2" Minnie traction engine with baler, I have owned it for 4 years and only got around to cleaning it up, as other hobbies which are mini's (1068 mini pickup and 1989 mini flame), plus college took my time up with changing my job.

I have now joined an engineering club in the area and been helping out laying a new rail track. So the next stage is to make some blanking plates expose the copper boiler and get it tested ready for the shows in the spring.

I used to go to the vintage shows with the family fordson tractor but transporting got expensive so the next step was a model steam engine. The plan is to get practice running this one and get it right before starting my own build next winter. As you all know it's not the same as steaming your own built engine.

I will be keeping up with the forum and looking forward to ordering a 2" traction engine kit this time next year.
ALZ MINI
ALZ MINI

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-12-02

Back to top Go down

Post  miller Wed 02 Dec 2009, 9:24 pm

hello cheers

another mini fan cheers cheers

I'm also a huge classic mini fan (known as the anorak on the mini forum) although i had to sell my two after getting laid off last year Sad

welcome to the forum
miller
miller

Number of posts : 270
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down