Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Centre High

+3
highpressure
Tony King
Steam Traction World
7 posters

Go down

Not Centre High Empty Not Centre High

Post  Steam Traction World Sun 16 Jun 2013, 8:25 am

Hi all,

Just wanted to point something out in case you are put on the spot & not sure of the answer.

Should anyone see you at a rally or show & tell you your engine is incorrect as its 'not centre high' then they are wrong.

The reason for bringing this up is that recently on the STW Facebook page I put a poll about new engines to which one person said he'd only consider purchasing one of our engines after viewing the drawings first. Asked why this was we were told that all scenic Showman's were centre high & the two he'd seen of ours were not!

Ex Mayor (& The President Road Loco) were both unusual as single drive engines & were not Centre High. I've posted a couple of photos on the Facebook page as confirmation of this......so if you want to see them & aren't a member of out FB page then please go and join up. :-)

We're not marketing our engines as exact replicas but they are very good representations indeed.

It's incorrect comments & assumptions like this which cost sales so now everyone has the information should anyone tell you it's wrong then please feel free to put the record straight.

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Not Centre High Empty Re: Not Centre High

Post  Tony King Sun 16 Jun 2013, 9:21 am

Dean, would you please explain to me what is meant by "Not center high"?
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sun 16 Jun 2013, 9:29 am

Dean, Ditto on what it means and to be honest if someone comes over to me and tells me my engines wrong I will politely tell them to F O Evil or Very Mad. As I have previously posted on here I am fed up with all the negative comments people want to make over STW and I for one am happy with the outcome regardless of anyones opinion.cheers
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Not Centre High Empty not centre high

Post  richspoo Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:24 pm

I share those views as well. I am not an STW Kit engine owner but have found everyone very friendly here and helpful.

I too could do with a lesson on Centre high I remember an old engine guy explaining that to me many years ago but cannot remember it now.

Richard

richspoo

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  martinj Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:49 pm

Is this what the issue is?
linky

Martin

martinj

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:52 pm

Thanks for the link Martin look like a very interesting website.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  martinj Sun 16 Jun 2013, 5:35 pm

Sorry to be a bit controversial but there are a few head on shots of President on Steam Scenes which show the block offset to the flywheel side.

Clinker on the other hand has a more symmetrical arrangement as does my Midsummer Models President. 

Do I care? not a bit. They are magnificent pieces of machinery and, without any doubt whatsoever, a credit to STW and their builders. 

I like my MM one too.

Martin

martinj

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Sun 16 Jun 2013, 5:59 pm

I'd much rather you went and joined the Facebook group to see the photo's as every new person who 'likes' the page then has tens/hundreds/thousands of friends who then see you've 'liked' it and it just helps grow our popularity....................however

Here's an original drawing showing the HP crank journal clearly offset from the centre line of the boiler.

Not Centre High Crank10

This photo is the driving position on Ex Mayor and although not as straight forward to see it does again this shows the HP cylinder offset.

Not Centre High Ex_may10

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Sun 16 Jun 2013, 6:02 pm

Here is the link...now excuse now Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/SteamTractionWorld?rf=216722061690721
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:31 am

Dean

That now explains why the more common DCC Burrell Miniatures out there have the stepped LP valve rod, so the models can have centre high and still get the eccentrics within the width of the hornplates they are designed with. I always wondered how the STW did not need the stepped LP valve rod, now I know.

Thanks

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Steam Traction World Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:58 pm

Please find attached a view from rear of The President.

Very difficult from the photo's taken at Mike Dreelan's to see exactly but coupled with the design drawings does indicate this also is not centre high.

When looking at it bear in mind that you are not looking at the centre between the horn plates (as one hornplate is dished) you are looking at the radius of the boiler and the centre line to that.

Speaking to Steve earlier he said that in reality ours isn't (exactly) accurate for the HP as when he started scaling it there wouldn't have been enough room for all the valve gear but it's still close enough.

Not Centre High Presid10

Steam Traction World
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down