Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear wheel rim rivets

+2
bjwlancashire
Dan
6 posters

Go down

Rear wheel rim rivets Empty Rear wheel rim rivets

Post  Dan Tue 20 Mar 2012, 10:51 pm

Well I'm having trouble getting these in. My rims are vulcanised so I have ground the rivets down and slimmed them up a little to get them in. But I still have problems seating them with a bit of JB-weld. I get one in, then try the next and the first pops out a little. Before I trimmed them up there was no way in the world they were going to seat. I'm using a copper mallet and the rivet snap from kit one - anyone got any tips? If not it's going to be a slooooow process!!!
Dan
Dan

Number of posts : 138
Registration date : 2011-09-07

Back to top Go down

Rear wheel rim rivets Empty Re: Rear wheel rim rivets

Post  bjwlancashire Wed 21 Mar 2012, 12:02 am

Dan

Get a drill the size of the rivet and put insulation tape or a paint mark on the drill to mark length of the rivet shaft. Drill into the holes carefully to this depth - NO FURTHER!!!! You will probably drill a small amount of rubber out of the holes, this is what stops the rivet going in far enough. Also, put a countersink in your drill afterwards and countersink each hole a little as the corner between the rivet shaft and head is radiused a little. This will finally allow the rivet head to sit on the surface of the wheel rim.

Cheers

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  IanL Wed 21 Mar 2012, 7:43 am

Hi Dan,

I agree with Brian, however, the drill bit I used to clear the hole of rubber was slightly smaller diameter than the rivet this left the hole tight on the rivet the countersink aligned the rivet and allowed the rivet head to fit flush to the rim, ready for the snap to knock it home, after applying thread lock to the rivet. I only had about a half dozen which were loose with this method. For these I used a piece of swarf to slip down the side of the rivet shank and this held them in place whilst the thread lock glued them in place. Not sure if this will work long term and it may not be good engineering practice but it worked for me!

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Robfishman Wed 21 Mar 2012, 8:00 am

Morning Dan

I did the same as Brian but used Araldite to hold them in.
Robfishman
Robfishman

Number of posts : 1061
Registration date : 2010-11-26

http://www.robertfish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  lynnr Wed 21 Mar 2012, 8:27 am

Hi

I used the High Temp strength thread lock around the shaft of the rivet after cleaning out all the holes with a drill.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  hudmut Wed 21 Mar 2012, 12:50 pm

I had this problem all so. my way was to clean the hole out with a wire brush in my Dremel next I centre popped around the hole in 3 places that sort of closes the hole up a tiny amount.

After all this I but the shank of the rivets in the vice and gave it a squeeze to take it out of shape square shaft round hole sort of thing. Added some locktight 603 and then thumped the buggers in oh and counter sink the hole a small amount the under side of my rivets had a radius that stopped them sitting down all the way.

In short I have friction and glue holding mine in.
hudmut
hudmut

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-07-05

https://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/hudmut/My%20little%20se

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down