Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheel rim rivets (On vulcanised tyres)

4 posters

Go down

Wheel rim rivets (On vulcanised tyres) Empty Wheel rim rivets (On vulcanised tyres)

Post  Frostie Mon 30 Jan 2012, 2:36 pm

Hi guys,

Just a note to let you know of my small problem with the main wheel kit.

Whilst fitting the decorative wheel rim rivets I noted that the vulcanised tyres prevent the rivets from going fully home, (Actually the rivets do go fully home, but are then pushed back out a bit by the spring of the rubber, I think this is beacaus e the rivets are slightly deeper than the metal of the wheel rims.
I got over the issue by drilling out the rubber a bit to allow the rivets to penetrate the holes fully.

Its a pain if you dont notice this, as it takes a few minutes for the rivets to creep out, and there are no spare rivets supplied.

Frostie.
Frostie
Frostie

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-09-10

Back to top Go down

Wheel rim rivets (On vulcanised tyres) Empty Drilling the rims

Post  Steve Traill Mon 30 Jan 2012, 3:47 pm

One should take care when drilling the rubber out of the decorative rivet holes as the rubber is quite soft and grips the drill bit quite a lot. If you weren't careful the drill could end going right through! I found just twisting a drill bit between my fingers was enough to remove any rubber fouling the rivet hole. Better safe than sorry!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Wheel rim rivets (On vulcanised tyres) Empty Re: Wheel rim rivets (On vulcanised tyres)

Post  lynnr Mon 30 Jan 2012, 7:16 pm

Also twirl the rivet as you put it in. It breaks the pressure seal and allows it to stay down
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Wheel rim rivets (On vulcanised tyres) Empty Re: Wheel rim rivets (On vulcanised tyres)

Post  IanL Mon 30 Jan 2012, 8:27 pm

The rivets have a small radius between the shank and head, which will hold the rivet head slightly proud of the rim. A small countersink on the hole will allow the rivet head to lie tight to the rim, I used a larger drill bit to create the countersink if you do not have any other way of doing it. It really only needs a slight touch if you can see the countersink stop going any further.

Best wishes

Ian
IanL
IanL

Number of posts : 437
Registration date : 2011-07-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down