Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Article in June's OLD GLORY

3 posters

Go down

Article in June's OLD GLORY Empty Article in June's OLD GLORY

Post  sonick45 Thu 26 May 2011, 1:25 pm

hello fellow builders,

For those of you that don't buy Old Glory, i recommend you do. (no i'm not on commission).
This months (june) magazine (issue 256) has a two page article on a Burrell 4" DCC RL based on The President which is the same as ours only this one is on strakes not rubbers.

The builder Roger Kightley makes some interesting points about the build and running of the engine.

One useful tip i that the balance pipe between the belly tank and tender is over size to allow the water to level out and flow quick enough so to aid filling the tank smoothly. The scale pipe does not allow quick enough flow thus making filling the engine a pain as you constantly have to stop to allow the water to flow through to the tender.

The photos are good too..

cheers
Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Article in June's OLD GLORY Empty Re: Article in June's OLD GLORY

Post  Graeme81 Thu 26 May 2011, 1:31 pm

Got my copy sent to the USA!! Makes for some good reading....
Graeme81
Graeme81

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 30 May 2011, 4:55 pm

That engine was scratch built over many years, I spoke to the builder at Old Warden last year, he had to change the drawings I believe to ensure he had the longer motion as per the fullsize engine. Regarding the balance pipe on our model I have not received it yet but the fitting on the tender and belly pan is much bigger than your typical hosepipe bore so I should think we may not have the same problem.

Roger has built a super model though, good article about it too!!

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down