Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chimney base

3 posters

Go down

Chimney base Empty Chimney base

Post  Vapor Sun 29 Aug 2010, 5:03 pm

Hi all just fitting my smoke box and chimney base and I see there is a small hole drilled in the side of the chimney base, I have looked through the fitting instructions and can't find any referance to the hole or which side it should go on, has anyone done this if so what side should be on??

I have looked at some photos of some Fodens in profile and they seem to have pipes in both sides so i'm totaly confused, any help would be appreciated.

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Chimney base Empty Re: Chimney base

Post  Vapor Sun 29 Aug 2010, 5:07 pm

Hi all, just answered my own question I have just looked at the control model in the production section and the hole is on the left hand side as viewed from the front, hope this may help someone else during the build, I would like to know whats is for though??

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Sun 29 Aug 2010, 5:43 pm

well i can tell you that a little copper pipe will eventually go in that hole, not really sure what it does.

Steve will know
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Sun 29 Aug 2010, 8:19 pm

Thanks for the reply Craig, I suspect it may be the blower or something, I assume I was correct in fitting it on the L/H side as viewed from the front.

Second question how the blo#dy hell do you get them rivit bolts down the chimney, I have managed 2 at the bottom and 3 at the top but can't get my hand any further down, even the ones I have got in are a pain to do up as the rivets keep spinning when you try to tighten them, I wish I had hands & arms like a baby with a grip like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Very Happy Very Happy
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Chimney base Empty Hole in Chimney base

Post  atomenter Sun 29 Aug 2010, 8:25 pm

Hi there

Regarding the rivets, I made a long bent spanner to hold/turn the nuts and where necessary carefully turned any rivets that were slack.

Regards
Tom

Chimney base Spanne11
atomenter
atomenter

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Sun 29 Aug 2010, 8:41 pm

Hi Tom,

Nice tool did you get enough swing to do up the nuts?? I was just thinking that if your spanner had a piviot point at the bend then it might be even better, I must see if I can knock something up, hows the build going?? I just finished fitting the smoke box and chimney base I just thinking about fitting the boiler in the chassis.

I was going to fit the power unit when complete but I'm having second thoughts about that, have you fitted the boiler cradle to the boiler if so did you apply any sealer to the studs I have just noted that they go right through the outer tube of the boiler into the water so I guess these will need to be "lock & sealed".

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Chimney base Empty Build Progress

Post  atomenter Sun 29 Aug 2010, 10:17 pm

Hi Ian
The spanner basically only held the nuts due to the limited room, I'm quite sure that it could be improved on but I think that they are all tight enough, if need be I will superglue them or something to prevent them slackening off.
The build is progressing well. I am building as I go and painting as required but I a prepared to strip it all back to do a final paint. My boiler et al is in place but I have not sealed any of the cradle bolts yet. I will do that when all the other boiler sealing is done, I think!!
Can't wait to get the cylinder and get that fitted. Last I heard they were just waiting on boxes to pack them in then I read that they were waiting on studs so they will get here sometime, soon I hope.

By the way I am having problems keeping the rear tyres inflated, I am sure that they are being "pushed" off their rims. Have you noticed this. I spoke to Steve at Pickering and my opinion is that they may need a spacer between the wheels. Let me know if you have the same problem.

Apologies on the attached pic. I will do some more later.

Chimney base Smoke_11

Regards

Tom
atomenter
atomenter

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Sun 29 Aug 2010, 11:50 pm

Hi Tom,

Well i'll have to think about the spanner design over the weekend, i have a few ideas in mind see what pans out, regarding the back wheels/tyres I cant say I have any issues with deflation I let a bit of air out to aid bolting them on as advised but thats about it, they are still at the same pressure.

I had to make a couple of packers to go between the cradle and the boiler so as not to strain the cradle when tightened up as I had to much of a gap between the two, I also had to remove a fair amount of metal from the bottom of the cradle for it to fit the boiler.

I also had to grind the front lip of the boiler so that I could get the smoke box fully onto the boiler, other than that it fitted like a glove, I have been trying to work out how you check if the chimney is upright because of it being tapered you can't just put a level across it.

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Post  atomenter Mon 30 Aug 2010, 8:17 am

Hi Ian
I had no problem with fitting the boiler cradle, everything lined up OK. I also had to remove about 1mm around the front flange on the boiler to let the smoke box fit properly. The smoke box door had to have the hinges bent slightly to get that fitting snugly. Apart from these minor details the fit has been very good so far.
All the best

Tom
atomenter
atomenter

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Mon 30 Aug 2010, 8:24 am

yes, i can confirm that we are waiting for engine studs for the cylinder kits, trust me, we are a keen to get it out the door as you are.

we will have a delivery date tomorrow, but if its going to take much longer i will suggest sending them with the next kit (cylinder covers etc.) as we are working on this now.

we haven't had any issues with the tyres deflating on the control model. maybe try removing the wheels and pumping them up to a high pressure to help seat the tyres, then let the pressure out and re-fit ???

spacers may be a possibility, we do have loads of c-type wheel spacers in stock.
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down