Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

foden smoke box and chimney kit

2 posters

Go down

foden smoke box and chimney kit Empty foden smoke box and chimney kit

Post  craig@STW Mon 05 Jul 2010, 6:31 pm

just starting work on the next foden kit, the smoke-box and chimney.

we have enough of these parts in stock for about half the batch but we will need to make up the numbers on just about everything.

chimney base rings after turning...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Pppp017

and this is the little brass centerpiece for the door...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Pppp014
craig@STW
craig@STW

Number of posts : 1410
Registration date : 2010-05-06

Back to top Go down

foden smoke box and chimney kit Empty Re: foden smoke box and chimney kit

Post  craig@STW Wed 14 Jul 2010, 7:38 pm

still working on this but we are going to have a delay on the material for the smoke box ring.

good news is we should be able to get the cylinders ready for dispatch this month and we are also looking at another alternative kit to cover any delays.

cylinder saddles have been machined...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Rrr015-1

foden smoke box and chimney kit Rrr012-1
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Sat 17 Jul 2010, 9:04 am

now have the material for the smoke-box doors...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Sss044-1

so we are still working away at the smoke-box kit, however the material for the smoke-box ring will delay the kit.

but the cylinders are now on the CNC for machining (full time job for Mark for the next week Shocked ) and we are working on the "cab-sides and roof" kit to make sure we can continue with the fast pace of these kits. the cab and roof kit is a bit of a leap forwards in the build sequence but again we can provide most of this from stock and im sure you will agree its better to keep the kits comming than start slowing down.

the smoke-box will follow soon and once the cylinders are done we can crack on with the motion parts. Cool
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 23 Jul 2010, 9:13 pm

smoke box kit is still being delayed by the material for the smoke-box ring but we are still working on the bits we can.

smoke box doors after turning...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Vvv018-1

and we are (well mark is) busy machining the cylinder blocks...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Vvv033-1

foden smoke box and chimney kit Vvv032-1
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Thu 29 Jul 2010, 8:28 pm

we now have the material for the smoke-boxes...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Www017-1

and the material for the door rings should be with us soon.

cylinders had thier liners pressed in today and once the gaskets arrive they will be dispatched Cool

production planing has started for the cylinder fittings kit and we are now working on the parts to complete the stock of roof/cab sides kits so there will be plenty of kits to dispatch over the next couple of months Cool
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Wed 04 Aug 2010, 9:22 pm

lots of work done on the foden this week.

smoke-boxes are on the first turning op...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Xxx032-1

and the good news is, the material for the door ring has arrived, this means this kit will soon be ready for dispatch...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Xxx035-1

chimney bases...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Xxx025-1

and mark has been working through the parts to get the cab sides and roof kits ready if we need an alternative kit...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Xxx021-1

foden smoke box and chimney kit Xxx027-1

door latch blocks...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Xxx016-1

we are still waiting for the cylinder gaskets and the material is now on order for the "cylinder fittings" kit. some parts for this kit have been started. these are the oilier caps...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Xxx018-1

i would think that the next kit to be dispatched will be the cylinder blocks followed by the smoke-boxes. we should have the other two kits ready towards the end of the month.

craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Thu 05 Aug 2010, 12:18 pm

Looking good Craig,

That smoke box and door ring look a bit lumpy I would not want to drop that on my toe, Crying or Very sad so it looks like we will be getting something to play with in the near future.

I have opted as suggested to build the power plant outside the chassis first and then drop it in one lump, so do you know and if you dont can you ask Steve/Dean what kits will be needed and when thay will be planned for production so as to complete the power plant, I know its a good idea to keep kits comming but the bodywork/roof etc will just sit in the corner for months if supplied now.

Thanks
Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Thu 05 Aug 2010, 4:07 pm

the door ring is actually quite thin once machined and really quite light Cool

steve and dean are out at the Pickering show till next week but a quick look tells me that to have the power plant 100% finished you need to get up to kit 21 although you will have most of it by kit 17 with the following kits being the water pump, gears and fittings although to be honest this could change slightly as production goes on. I'll ask steve to comment next week Cool

there is a possibility that the roof and cab sides kit will not be dispatched just yet. if we can get the cylinder fittings kit done in a reasonable amount of time there may be no need Neutral

should have a video for you later, just filmed the smoke box on the 4th axis mill Cool
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Thu 05 Aug 2010, 4:27 pm

Ok Craig,

Well thanks for the reply I look forward to the video.

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Tue 10 Aug 2010, 4:27 pm

I would think that the next kit to be dispatched will be the cylinder blocks followed by the smoke-boxes. we should have the other two kits ready towards the end of the month.

Craig does that mean STW will have 4 kits ready this month?? or am I reading it wrongly, blimey that will keep one or two busy, it might also clean out their bank accounts Very Happy

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Tue 10 Aug 2010, 5:49 pm

yes, it is highly likely that we will have four kits ready by the end of the month (or possibly 3 this month and the fourth very early next month), but this is no bad thing as it gives us some breathing space for next month.

we are expecting the rear showmans wheels any time and these will need one guy to work flat out to get them drilled. plus its holiday season at STW with Ian off this week, me next week and mark the following week.

dont get too excited, im sure something will come along to bugger it all up Rolling Eyes
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Wed 11 Aug 2010, 8:39 am

Craig,

Your correct it's no bad thing having 4 kits ready, well for me anyway as it will help keep me off the street corners Very Happy Very Happy
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Wed 11 Aug 2010, 8:47 pm

getting very close with the smoke-box kit now.

the door rings are all done...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Yyy005-1

and i just set the drilling op on the door last thing this afternoon...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Yyy031-1

the trunk guide castings have arrived...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Yyy010-1

and need to be bored out on the lathe first...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Yyy008-1
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 13 Aug 2010, 8:10 am

got the control smoke box fitted yesterday. just need to make enough of the last few parts for dispatch and the kit can go. Cool

foden smoke box and chimney kit Zzz007

foden smoke box and chimney kit Zzz006
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Fri 13 Aug 2010, 9:39 pm

fitted the cylinder block to the control model today...

foden smoke box and chimney kit Abc029
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Wed 25 Aug 2010, 2:56 pm

Hi Craig,

Got me smoke box fitted and just doing the last few tweeks, very pleased with kits so far pass on my thanks to all the crew, it's now starting to look like a proper lorry, how are we getting with the cylinder kit etc, can you give us an update I know your rushing to get the showmans up to a rolling chassis but just wondered about the Foden as we are rapidly approching the end of the month. Very Happy

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Wed 25 Aug 2010, 5:52 pm

yeah, just me on the mills this week so im a bit pushed on production matters.

the cylinder kit is all done, gaskets are here and its ready to go BUT i believe we are waiting delivery of several hundred engine studs, if you look back at the photos you will see that the cylinder comes with all the engine studs for the covers. its these that are holding it up.

i'll give these a chase tomorrow but im sure they will be here by the end of the month. i'll let you know.

good news is, we are still working on the cylinder "bolt on parts" and there's always the roof and cab kit if we are desperate Cool

PS: sorry i didn't up-date earlier, thanks for the "push"
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Thu 26 Aug 2010, 9:41 pm

yes, we are still waiting for the engine studs. we should know a delivery date after the weekend Cool
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Wed 01 Sep 2010, 8:45 am

OK, the cylinders are going without the studs, you don't really need them till the next kit anyway.

work has started on the next kit. cylinder end covers etc.

foden smoke box and chimney kit Abc123014

foden smoke box and chimney kit Abc123016-1

foden smoke box and chimney kit Abc123029-1
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Thu 09 Sep 2010, 12:42 pm

.yes, it is highly likely that we will have four kits ready by the end of the month (or possibly 3 this month and the fourth very early next month), but this is no bad thing as it gives us some breathing space for next month.

Well Craig,

You made 2 kits but not in one month Smile well I have a big dollop of metal (cylinder) all cleaned up saddle fitted with all the horrible Foliac cr#p all over it and now want a gasket and some 8mm studs any idea when??.

As we dont have any idea what is in what kit anymore can you give us an idea of what's where regarding the motion and crank kit wise, (no pressure) Very Happy

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Thu 09 Sep 2010, 2:25 pm

the "four kit ready" plan was knocked on the head by the arrival of the rear wheels for the showmans model. with the initial outlay on these being so high, we had no choice but to get them out the door as soon as possible.

as far as machining goes, the cylinder kit was finished 3 weeks before it went out, but the delay was on the bought in items Mad

the roof and cab side kit is all but done and just really needs packing. i suspect dean and steve would rather not send this out unless they have to as its kinda "off schedule" if you know what i mean.

the next kit, "cylinder bolt on parts" is our next priority. the turning is all done and the milling should start tomorrow. this will include the cylinder front and rear covers, valve gland, piston gland, trunk guides, steam chest cover, valve chest cover, cross-head and oiler, regulator and exhaust flange. and the studs as well. i will post a proper up-date on this as things happen

following the schedule, the next kit should be the bearings, con rods and valve gear and the kit after that should be the crank.

i admit that it looks like things have stood still but this is not the case, its just that the priority has been on other things. sorry
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Thu 09 Sep 2010, 2:35 pm

PS: just to clarify: had we got the 4 kits ready in one month we would not have sent out more than two of them. we just would have been a months work ahead (which is where we should be anyway in an ideal world) which would have prevented any delays on the dispatch of the next two kits Cool

I'm sorry if this was not clear (which it probably wasn't Embarassed )
craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Vapor Tue 28 Sep 2010, 2:32 pm

Craig

The production seems to be slipping a bit, we seem to have gone from 4 kits in one month to 1 in August and 1 in September, from the outside it seems that everything is being held up by productions of parts for the showmans, please tell me I wrong. Sad
Vapor
Vapor

Back to top Go down

Post  craig@STW Tue 28 Sep 2010, 7:01 pm

production has been slowed down by the machining of the showmans rear wheels, leaving just one guy to machine most of the rest of the stuff, (and plan production and order materials for future kits etc. etc.) but we have also had to address the bottle neck of "out of stock" items that we needed to make to allow us to sell complete kits (this brings in a huge amount of money) and also been some preparation work for parts with long lead times, for example i have spent today machining moulds for castings.

steve has added another part to the roof kit (front floor section) to allow you to actually do something with the kit and we are waiting for the laser cut on this and the cylinder bolt on kit is very close. however just this afternoon Steve and ian rejected one part of this kit that was not up to standard and it will need to be made again. OK this will only take a days work but the reason i mentioned it is that we are trying to provide quality items, and this takes time.

please be patient with us at the moment, things will improve.

PS: i think a delivery of crankshafts arrived today, will confirm which model they are for tomorrow Cool

craig@STW
craig@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down