Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trial use of 3D graphics and/or avi. files for kit contents

+7
KC
likaliker
Waterways
Julia
Vapor
mark_1984
Steam Traction World
11 posters

Go down

Trial use of 3D graphics and/or avi. files for kit contents Empty Trial use of 3D graphics and/or avi. files for kit contents

Post  Steam Traction World Tue 22 Jul 2008, 10:47 pm

We want to add a bit more life and information about the various kit contents. I've been experimenting with using two different types of media, firstly 'video clips' using an avi. file that can be used with Windows Media Player and somewhat more adventurous a 3D graphics display using eDrawings. Both use Kit 02 of the 4" Burrell as its subject.

The video clip can be viewed at www.steamtractionworld.co.uk/Kit%2002.avi

The 3D graphics can be viewed at www.steamtractionworld.co.uk/Kit%2002.htm

Unless you already have eDrawings loaded you will be asked to accept an 'activeX control' download. This enables your computer to download the eDrawings software automatically. The first time takes a while, but once the software is installed subsequent files will load quite quickly. There are numerous things you can do with the eDrawings file so it's well worth the effort. You can, rotate and zoom, create cross sections, look at individual components, identify individual components, explode the assemblies and look at pre animated explotions and its collapse. There is a slight 'hicup' in the animation but that won't detract from its affect. The hicup was caused by my inexperience. When they're loaded on the site properly they will work fine.

Both types of file take quite a while to create so i would appreciate some feedback about what you think of them. Very Happy

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Trial use of 3D graphics and/or avi. files for kit contents Empty Re: Trial use of 3D graphics and/or avi. files for kit contents

Post  mark_1984 Wed 23 Jul 2008, 4:19 am

The AVI file is really great - nice and clear, and simple to use. The CAD drawing is also good, but takes a bit of playing around to get used to. Personally, I prefer the AVI file.

mark_1984

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-07-08

Back to top Go down

Trial use of 3D graphics and/or avi. files for kit contents Empty Re: Trial use of 3D graphics and/or avi. files for kit contents

Post  Vapor Wed 23 Jul 2008, 7:27 am

Hi Steve,

The AVI file is much easier to use but the eDrawings were far better in terms of what you can do, as you say once you have eDrawings loaded on your machine it's plain sailing, so my preferance would be eDrawings.

Ian
Vapor
Vapor

Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Julia Wed 23 Jul 2008, 9:43 am

Steve

As you know I am a great fan of e-drawings so I encourage you to publish the e-drawings. They would be far more useful to builders of the kits.

The AVI and the e-drawing examples are not of exactly the same thing. For the AVI you have defined an animation for the assembly - whereas for the e-drawing you have just exported it from solidworks to e-drawings. I assume much less work went into creating the e-drawing.

As a sales aid the AVI files are clearly better. A casual visitor is likely to be able to play the avi file - it could even be wrapped in flash so that it played automatically as the page loaded. At 900Kb for a 10 second animation it is a heavy download. A more complex part neading a longer sequence is likely to be a very big download.

The are a number of obstacles to a visitor viewing the e-drawing. Firstly there is the download and installation of e-drawings. Secondly I was unable to get it to work with FireFox. (Only works for me with Explorer) Finally visitors have to work out how to drive e-drawing's. At 150Kb the download is small and provides far more information. I think there is room for both but I suggest you handle the e-drawings in a different way.

• Place the easm files in a download area kit02.easm in this case.
  • Instruct users to visit http://www.edrawingsviewer.com/ to download e-drawings
  • The users then downloads the file to their computer and open it using e-drawings directly

The bottom line
  • Sales aid - use AVI
  • Help to builders - use Edrawings

PS: Try releasing a more complex drawing and I am sure it would wet everyones apatite for the e-drawing.
Julia
Julia

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Waterways Wed 23 Jul 2008, 9:38 pm

I agree with julia but e drawings is definately for me.

Keith

Waterways

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2008-06-26

http://www.waterways-direct.com

Back to top Go down

Trial use of 3D graphics and/or avi. files for kit contents Empty Re:Trial use of 3D graphics and/or avi. files for kit contents

Post  likaliker Wed 23 Jul 2008, 10:44 pm

Getting the eDrawings to work was a small pain - had to log out, install as Administrator, log back in again and delete the Browsing History.
Once done, no contest - eDrawings is SO much more useful. The .avi file is a good introductory tool, but is limited to that. It is easy to work eDrawings by hitting all the buttons down the side and seeing what they do and it immediately repays the effort of learning.
I agree with Julia's input - downloading the .easm file is much easier and works for all browsers.
likaliker
likaliker

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post  KC Thu 24 Jul 2008, 9:33 am

IMHO from a sales point of view put the video clip up on a big screen and it would grab attention on an exhibition stand and draw people in. The eDrawing would help clinch a sale if the potential client isn't sure on quality issues or details of certain components that would effect the finish/final appearance of a model as it is a good aid to talk them through any areas of concern.

As others have said, as a builder having the eDrawing file available to download as a kit arrives would be a lot more helpful than just the paper instructions. The AVI file does not really allow you to extract much information from it so is little better than an isometric sketch.

As another point, having the written instructions available to download as a .pdf or similar would also be useful because you then wouldn't need to worry so much about getting dirty finger prints all over them as you can run off another copy.

Kieran

KC

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  malcolm Wed 30 Jul 2008, 11:15 pm

I have installed the E-Drawings programme with no problems whatsoever. In my opinion they are great and give more useful information than the avi.video clips.
Keep up the good work.

Malcolm[quote]

malcolm

Number of posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Trial use of 3D graphics and/or avi. files for kit contents Empty Re: Trial use of 3D graphics and/or avi.files for kit contents.

Post  malcolm Wed 30 Jul 2008, 11:22 pm

I have downloaded the E Drawings programme with no problems whatsoever. In my opinion they are great and give more useful information than the avi.video clips.
Keep up the good work.

Malcolm

malcolm

Number of posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Wurzel Sat 02 Aug 2008, 11:44 am

Hi Dean,

I have installed the E-Drawings successfully and they are brilliant! I have all the information I need, and the graphics are great.
I like the fact that I can print as many instructions and drawings as I want, and not worry if they get dirty or damaged when I'm putting the
kits together.

Hopefully, and time permitting, I am aiming to have my engine complete and steaming by Christmas king

Regards,

Allan.

Wurzel

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Trial use of 3D graphics and/or avi. files for kit contents Empty Drawings

Post  dave granger Sun 17 Aug 2008, 6:27 pm

Hi Steve & Dean,

I have found the eDrawings extremely useful, add my vote to this list please.

Regards

Dave Granger

dave granger

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Frostie Mon 04 Oct 2010, 4:08 am

Steve,

I can only get kiits 2 to 8 to down load, the latter kits state tha there is a problem with the link !!!!
The Dwgs are great, and will be very useful during my build.
Are the instructions that come with each kit downloadable also.

Regards

Malcolm
Frostie
Frostie

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2010-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down