Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to get out Socket Head Countersink Fasteners with worn out hex socket

2 posters

Go down

How to get out Socket Head Countersink Fasteners with worn out hex socket Empty How to get out Socket Head Countersink Fasteners with worn out hex socket

Post  karl heinz marschner Mon 04 Mar 2024, 8:54 pm

By the way, I found a trick: Use a hammer to drive in a proper Torx Bit into the worn-out socket until it sits securely enough. After that you can unscrew it.

How to get out Socket Head Countersink Fasteners with worn out hex socket Burrel80
I did this procedure for  quite a number of fasteners which I could not get out with an Allen-key any more. The torx bit survived this torture.
karl heinz marschner
karl heinz marschner

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2021-04-13

elwood-59 and Dickinson like this post

Back to top Go down

How to get out Socket Head Countersink Fasteners with worn out hex socket Empty Re: How to get out Socket Head Countersink Fasteners with worn out hex socket

Post  elwood-59 Thu 07 Mar 2024, 11:26 am

Hello Karl-Heinz,

Yes, seems like Torx bits are much stronger compared to inhex heads. I try to steer away from inhex heads if possible, especially for wood screws to be fitted with a cordless drill.
Additionally a few hits with a hammer aimed at the head often convince the bolt to loose it‘s grip.

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 300
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down