Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4" agg smokebox & chimney copper rivets

3 posters

Go down

4" agg smokebox & chimney copper rivets Empty 4" agg smokebox & chimney copper rivets

Post  dodgevictory6 Fri 29 Dec 2023, 12:11 am

Hi I have assembled my smokebox with no issues at all, in fact I was very impressed with the accuracy of all drilled holes on all kit items. I do have one question though. Can anyone confirm that the 4 copper rivet bolts holding chimney adaptor to the smokebox should be drive home so they deform from being a straight rivet to one that has a bent axis.
This will happen to the rivet shank due to the outer curvature of the chimney adaptor radius making the rivet head bend to conform.
Any help would be much appreciated.

dodgevictory6

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2023-03-18

Back to top Go down

4" agg smokebox & chimney copper rivets Empty Re: 4" agg smokebox & chimney copper rivets

Post  Simon C Fri 29 Dec 2023, 7:49 am

dodgevictory6 wrote:Can anyone confirm that the 4 copper rivet bolts holding chimney adaptor to the smokebox should be drive home so they deform from being a straight rivet to one that has a bent axis.
This will happen to the rivet shank due to the outer curvature of the chimney adaptor radius making the rivet head bend to conform.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Yes the rivet heads need driving home so that they bend to conform to the shape of the collar.
Don't over tighten the nuts as the copper being so soft will strip the threads.
A rivet set or a small block of hard wood will help to retain the shape of the rivet head from getting flattened by the hammer.
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

4" agg smokebox & chimney copper rivets Empty Re: 4" agg smokebox & chimney copper rivets

Post  dodgevictory6 Fri 29 Dec 2023, 6:43 pm

Hi Simon
Thanks so much for your conformation, really just wanted that before driving the rivets in as replacement parts with take 3 months to get to me over here.
Many thanks Steve.

dodgevictory6

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2023-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve Traill Thu 22 Feb 2024, 11:33 am

I have changed the copper rivet/bolts as they were so soft. Used a similar sized steel hex headed bolt in a cordless drill to round it off on a grinding wheel. Then used the punch supplied with the wheel kit to get to to form the right shape when fitted. After painting it looks identical, whenever one is moving it around on the rally field & it's cold. helpers always grab hold of the chimney to push or pull, I don't worry now!
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down