Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

spark arrestor

4 posters

Go down

spark arrestor Empty spark arrestor

Post  elwood-59 Sun 18 Jun 2023, 9:54 pm

Hi,

as it seems like we are facing more and dryer summers, has any of you given a thought to installing a spark arrestor on the engine? if so, which one did you use?

I am aware a spark arrestor will not catch 100% of any possible particles but still would be better than nothing.

Comments?

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2014-12-17

Back to top Go down

spark arrestor Empty Re: spark arrestor

Post  Lynn@STW Tue 20 Jun 2023, 8:51 am

Hi Elwood

I had a ball for use on Crystal. I got it from Heritage Steam. Some events would not allow you to run without a spark arrester. Its purpose is to catch the larger fragments of burning material that have the ability to still be burning or hot when landing outside the engine.

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2017-07-19

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Tue 20 Jun 2023, 10:00 pm

I've got one like this https://www.legacyvehicles.co.uk/spark-arresters but not impressed with how it doesnt stay in the chimney, its OK but spends a lot of the time just in the van.
If you keep the chimney nice and clean on the inside and avoid large amounts of regulator you shouldnt get to much ejection of material.

Something to think about more on a grassy rally field is setting fire to the grass under the ash pan if you are parked up for a while. A couple of years ago one of the engines had a small bonfire occur while supping beer outside a beer tent. Luckily we were all aware of the issue and it was soon put out with spare water we were all carrying.

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 786
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Tue 20 Jun 2023, 10:32 pm

Hi,

thanks for your input.

So far I have not been asked to use a spark arrester, it‘s more a precaution I am thinking about. Usually I drive on paved roads and less on grassy fields, as we do not have those many rallies around here.

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Back to top Go down

Post  elwood-59 Sat 24 Jun 2023, 2:03 pm

Hi livesteam,

still thinking about your reply. Can you elaborate a bit more why you had so bad experience with the arrestor? I understood it has three „legs“ that go into the chimney and thus keep it attached. Or did I get it all wrong? I only have the (small) picture found on the web page, which does not really show the whole setup. Maybe you can add a picture or two?

Thanks

Cheers

Elwood
elwood-59
elwood-59

Back to top Go down

spark arrestor Empty .

Post  iain Mon 26 Jun 2023, 11:43 am

With the blast from the chimney on a model, and low weight of the spark arrestor they are easily blown out the top.

Something that you could think about is installing one inside the smokebox. A simple mesh that slides in and out on rails above the top tubes should work. It was a common design on full size engines in the past.

iain

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2012-09-11

LiveSteam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Mon 26 Jun 2023, 9:56 pm

elwood-59 wrote:Hi livesteam,

still thinking about your reply. Can you elaborate a bit more why you had so bad experience with the arrestor? I understood it has three „legs“ that go into the chimney and thus keep it attached. Or did I get it all wrong? I only have the (small) picture found on the web page, which does not really show the whole setup. Maybe you can add a picture or two?

Thanks

Cheers

Elwood

Like Ian said they tend to get blown out of the chimney with heavy chuffing, the legs are OK but they are only wired on so end up twiddlng around and the arrestor gets all lose. I'm surprised I've not run mine over Laughing
I should really silver solder the legs on to the ball as that would solve the issue but thats another "round tuit" job Wink

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 786
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down