Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canadian Paint

2 posters

Go down

Canadian Paint Empty Canadian Paint

Post  marcus_canada Fri 31 Mar 2023, 12:33 am

Hi everyone Very Happy
Marcus here, Englishman living in canada.
I'll try not to post a bunch of old questions here and only reach out if I'm stuck or to offer help.

I'm stuck hahaha

Paint..... I had Craftmaster paint recommended to me by Dean but sadly they do not ship to Canada. Hoping that Craftmaster would be also available to guide me in the choice of paint chemistry, I find myself somewhat beached.

It's my understanding that, since Oil based enamel is now considered the work of the devil, we are now using Synthetic-enamel (?).  Can anyone, that may or may not live in Canada, offer a source for appropriate paints?  There's nothing in my town (Barrie, ON).

Thanks and best wishes
Marcus

marcus_canada

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2023-03-26

Back to top Go down

Canadian Paint Empty Re: Canadian Paint

Post  Lynn@STW Fri 31 Mar 2023, 8:47 am

Hi Marcus

True that Craftmaster paints are the defacto go to but there are others.

I used Imron 2 pack paint on my engine and it held up very well to time, heat and polishing. On my trailers I used coach enamel to good success.
Only real high heat areas are the firebox surround, smokebox and chimney. I used a generic BBQ satin black. On the smokebox and chimney class the pain finish on these parts as consumable. You will be repainting these often. Between steamings just wipe them over with an oily rag.
Wheels, tender and outlying metal work do not get great heating. The cleading and cylinder block should never get over the temperature of the steam so at 180psi you have 193.18°C. I never used any special high temperature paint and nothing cracked or blistered in 10 years of ownership.

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2017-07-19

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus_canada Fri 31 Mar 2023, 1:45 pm

Lynn@STW wrote:Hi Marcus

True that Craftmaster paints are the defacto go to but there are others.

I used Imron 2 pack paint on my engine and it held up very well to time, heat and polishing. On my trailers I used coach enamel to good success.

Hi Lynn. Thanks for that.  I googled Imron paints and seems I may be able to get that.  Excuse my ignorance but there seems to be a bunch of different Imron paint types.  Wiuld you remeber specific chemistry? I see that have AF700 AF400 MS100 MS600 etc etc

It remains my main overriding fear that I get her built and the paint falls or chips off after 10 minutes of steam because I got the wrong stuff.

It's different here, words like "coach-enamel" and "Steam engine" are alien.

Thanks Smile

marcus_canada

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2023-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn@STW Fri 31 Mar 2023, 1:49 pm

Hi Marcus

I have absolutely no idea what the grade or chemistry was. I never asked. I just asked for the same stuff I used when repainting my Landrovers over the years. I knew it was tough stuff as on the Landy it survived tree limbs, rocks and mud. Even crumpled a wing and the paint did not split off.

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2017-07-19

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down