Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bolts on tender

3 posters

Go down

Bolts on tender Empty Bolts on tender

Post  tony.wheels Thu 16 Dec 2021, 6:41 pm

I am preparing to seal the tank on the tender and cannot decide whether to araldite the bolts from the inside for the tow straps and lower winch brackets, leaving the nuts on the outside, so as the bolts heads are covered with sealant. This would also avoid disturbing the sealant with the nuts when fitting after painting.
Has anyone used this method or any other ideas please.

tony.wheels

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2021-09-29

Back to top Go down

Bolts on tender Empty Re: Bolts on tender

Post  milford59 Thu 16 Dec 2021, 10:31 pm

I haven’t attached the winch brackets yet, although my tender is painted and striped. My plan is to do the nuts and bolts in the normal way and then reach in with a brush and Cromapol to seal them - I guess it depends what you are using to seal the tender.

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Mutleybob likes this post

Back to top Go down

Bolts on tender Empty Tender Bolts

Post  tony.wheels Thu 16 Dec 2021, 10:55 pm

Many thanks for your reply, I have actually followed yours and previous posts and gone for cromapol and am going to apply it this weekend. Did you blank off all the holes before applying the cromapol.

tony.wheels

Back to top Go down

Post  trev crane Fri 17 Dec 2021, 2:34 pm

Hi,

When I painted the inside of my tender, I use masking tape on the non threaded holes & put screws in the threaded ones.
just screwed in so the thread is flush with the inside surface.
It keep most of the Cromapol out of the threads.

Hope this helps.
Enjoy
Trev
trev crane
trev crane

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2019-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Fri 17 Dec 2021, 4:26 pm

I didn’t blank off any holes but tried to be quite careful around them - I haven’t actually attached all the fittings to the tender (taps etc.) so once I have done that, I will need to get a bit more Cromapol in - I think I will be able to attach a brush to a short piece of wood to be able to reach in through the cover plate hole. It’s good stuff and can go on quite thick where it needs to.

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post  tony.wheels Sun 19 Dec 2021, 9:26 pm

Thanks to both of you. I have coated the inside and top of the tender with cromapol and started fitting the top whist the cromapol is still soft. I have managed to line up the back and right hand rivet holes but the left side is very slightly out of line with the rivet holes, so cannot quite get the rivets in. The back has pulled up tight with no gaps so I think I will have to drill them all.
Thanks again,
Tony

tony.wheels

milford59 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down