Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Running on air

4 posters

Go down

Running on air Empty Running on air

Post  andyfletch Sun 14 Mar 2021, 6:51 pm

A big milestone achieved today!
Managed  to get the engine running on air today. (excuse the noisy compressor - not man enough for the job really)

Couldn't get more than 40psi in the engine, which quickly reduced when running, so hard to see or hear any obvious leaks.

QUESTION. Even with the regulator fully shut it still started and ticked over, even after adjusting the regulator rod. also the starter valve didn't do anything. is this because there's no steam and low pressure?? any thought gratefully received!!

Kit 29 mainly completed, Regulator, Governor, Lubricator. a couple of globe valves arrived yesterday so water lifter and blast valve to sort
andyfletch
andyfletch

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Running on air Empty Re: Running on air

Post  lynnr Sun 14 Mar 2021, 9:24 pm

Hi and well done on first turn over.

Yes low pressure air works totally different to steam at any pressure. At first my starter button would not seal until I redid the seat. On Crystal if below 50psi or so the starter will not always return to close so needs a little help of a tap and make sure the pin is out of the gland.

Crystal would not turn over on air at all when first built. But in steam she ran sweet even without the flywheel.

You will also find the valves behave differently as there is no expansion pressure to put the pucks on the valve face. No steam oil in the vapour either. SO the valves may pass air and give a uncommand turn over. Just watch the fingers for entrapment.

Also when testing on steam you will find leaks where the air did not leak and the first few steaming's will produce different leaks.

On my build thread and when a road loco visited for repair and finishing. I did do a couple videos of my testing routine where I started with the valve covers off and light steam. This allows incremental testing of the steam progress through the block.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity Mon 15 Mar 2021, 12:31 pm

looks great well done! is your nickel plating done with a kit or by a company?

BurrellSimplicity

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2019-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  andyfletch Mon 15 Mar 2021, 7:55 pm

Thanks for your wisdom Lynn, much appreciated
andyfletch
andyfletch

Back to top Go down

Post  andyfletch Mon 15 Mar 2021, 7:58 pm

Hi Burrell simplicity

I used a local firm to plate the motion and a few other parts. Very pleased with the outcome. I did invest in a home kit from Frosts, but wasn't keen on the colour of the finish, but that may have be the operator!!

I have just polished a lot of steal parts too, which has come up really well. lots of filing, emery paper and polishing mops.
andyfletch
andyfletch

Back to top Go down

Post  Capricorn1 Sun 02 May 2021, 9:11 pm

The "starter valve" requires a stronger spring, I replaced mine a long time ago and it's not given any bother since, regardless of what pressure is in the boiler.

Capricorn1

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2013-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post  andyfletch Mon 03 May 2021, 8:32 am

Thanks Capricorn 1
i did work that out and got a new longer spring. that has worked and no further issues with the starter valve

Andy
andyfletch
andyfletch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down