Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adam’s Road Loco

4 posters

Go down

Adam’s Road Loco Empty Adam’s Road Loco

Post  Adam.C Fri 17 Jul 2020, 4:25 pm

Hi all, finally getting round to posting some photos.
Been building this since 2018 so I’ll post a few bits at a time as there is a lot to post.

Adam’s Road Loco 903aed10
Adam’s Road Loco 58e33f10
Adam’s Road Loco 3fdd7610

First of all is the front wheels, they are now in undercoat ready for top coat. Will hopefully be doing this shortly. Think I’m finally getting the hang of spraying the coach enamel.
Decided to paint it Great Eastern Blue, thought I’d do something a bit unusual, I also like the look of the Pickfords engine. Still unsure if I will line it, but that is a problem for later on.

Adam.C

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2020-05-02

Back to top Go down

Adam’s Road Loco Empty Re: Adam’s Road Loco

Post  Adam.C Fri 17 Jul 2020, 4:38 pm

Next off is the smokebox, perch and front axel. Once I got the angle grinder out it all fitted together smoothly. After I originally painted this I wrapped it up so not to damage it. When I unwrapped them the paint was ruined because I didn’t leave it long enough to cure. Haven’t made that mistake again.

Adam’s Road Loco 37163d10
Adam’s Road Loco 6f70b410
Adam’s Road Loco 2249aa10

At some point if anyone is interested I’ll also add a few pictures and commentary about the car and trailer I will be using to move it around.

Adam.C

BurrellSimplicity likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  milford59 Fri 17 Jul 2020, 7:05 pm

Great to see some pictures , and I would definitely be interested to hear about your car and trailer.

milford59

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2019-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeBelham Sat 18 Jul 2020, 4:28 pm

milford59 wrote:Great to see some pictures , and I would definitely be interested to hear about your car and trailer.

Looking good so far, I would also be interested to see what trailer you are using. I am thinking that a trailer would need to be long enough for a water bowser too
MikeBelham
MikeBelham

Number of posts : 43

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity Tue 28 Jul 2020, 4:43 pm

great thanks for the update.

we got our boiler and we had great fun hammering on the smoke box as it was egg shaped! while trying not to damage the paint it eventually went on but we had to file a lip around the edge of the smokebox ring so it would start open out the egg shaped smokebox!

we can't do much more now till we get the crank and motion, as I don't want to setup the engine the way STW say to do it. it all needs to be setup in one go with all the moving parts and be line up to run true to the crank / cylinder. for example, the cylinder can rotate around the boiler barrel by about 1 deg with the studs in the holes! this amount of movement could cause trouble with the motion not lining up, twisting the weighshaft, slidebars and motion. Combined with the hornplates having holes larger than the 8mm bolts these will probably be out of alignment also and it intrinsically puts the crank out too.
We feel it's just not possible to get a good running engine by setting the hornplates and then hoping the cylinder is inline or vice versa. so, as i said we will be waiting for all the parts to come before we go any further with painting.

we have decided to paint the wheels and leave it at that till we get more kits.

BurrellSimplicity

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2019-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Adam.C Tue 08 Sep 2020, 4:41 pm

Been a little while since my last post so thought I’d add a bit more.
Adam’s Road Loco 8c6e6610
Adam’s Road Loco B6d94710
Adam’s Road Loco 980f4410

Following the smokebox I received the tender. I used patio cleaner on all the parts and then finished them off with a flap wheel. I then had the tedious task of putting all of the rivet bolts in. It went together surprisingly well having to only drill out a couple of holes. I then used POR-15 to seal it up. I found it a pain to remove some of the POR-15 where it had seeped out of the gaps, but got there in the end.

Adam.C

Back to top Go down

Post  Adam.C Tue 08 Sep 2020, 4:44 pm

The painting on the black parts went ok, the tender was a bit of a pain but it’s all done now.
Adam’s Road Loco 8f43c610
Adam’s Road Loco A2659310
Adam’s Road Loco 4465cb10

Adam.C

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down