Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just started my 2" Burrell

2 posters

Go down

Just started my 2" Burrell Empty Just started my 2" Burrell

Post  andrewjherbert Fri 24 Jan 2020, 11:08 pm

Working through kit 1. I have cleaned up all the parts to remove burrs etc and lightly chamfered the spokes as suggested in the instructions.

Am now doing trial fit of spokes, hubs and covers. Have found the hex countersunk screws to fit spokes to hubs sometimes sit a bit proud and spoke ends also. I presume I need spokes and screws flush with surface of hub so that covers are a snug fit?

I'll grind a fraction off the proud screws so i can screw them fully home and use flap drill to make any proud spoke ends flush with hub unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Andrew Herbert
andrewjherbert
andrewjherbert

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2020-01-24

Back to top Go down

Just started my 2" Burrell Empty Re: Just started my 2" Burrell

Post  Simon C Sat 25 Jan 2020, 8:03 am

andrewjherbert wrote:Working through kit 1.  I have cleaned up all the parts to remove burrs etc and lightly chamfered the spokes as suggested in the instructions.

Am now doing trial fit of spokes, hubs and covers.  Have found the hex countersunk screws to fit spokes to hubs sometimes sit a bit proud and spoke ends also.  I presume I need spokes and screws flush with surface of hub so that covers are a snug fit?

I'll grind a fraction off the proud screws so i can screw them fully home and use flap drill to make any proud spoke ends flush with hub unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Andrew Herbert

All sounds good to me just make certain that the screw holes in the hub haven't burred up as you have tightened the csk screws.
I found some spokes that seemed to have been countersunk by a bulldozer and had mushroomed out at the back side the cure for this was to put them an a hard flat surface and Gently hammer the back side flat again.
Its important to get this spot-on as once you apply the epoxy to the hub it wont be coming off again in a hurry.
PS I have made 18 wheels up over time and I think every one needed a little coaxing to go together at some time
Simon C
Simon C
Simon C

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2017-07-07

Back to top Go down

Post  andrewjherbert Sat 15 Feb 2020, 1:11 pm

Thanks for the advice.

Yup, main causes for spokes not flush was a) burrs on holes in hubs and b) burrs on spokes from countersink. A few spokes needed a bit of thinning with a file/linisher.

I cleaned out all the fixing holes with a plug tap which helped seat the screws better.  

I also had to widen some countersink holes and in a few cases shave a fraction off the end of the screws to get them absolutely flush.
andrewjherbert
andrewjherbert

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2020-01-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down