Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

wayshaft bracket

5 posters

Go down

wayshaft bracket Empty wayshaft bracket

Post  Waterways Fri 28 Aug 2009, 8:37 pm

Hi

Should there be a gasket between the wayshaft bracket and the boiler. Also which kit did the studs come in.

Keith

Last edited by Waterways on Sat 05 Sep 2009, 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Waterways

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2008-06-26

http://www.waterways-direct.com

Back to top Go down

wayshaft bracket Empty perch bracket

Post  tompettitt Sat 29 Aug 2009, 9:41 pm

mmmmm
i had problems with lining up to cylinder block and found the lower guide would fit without gasket although a gasket would be unnessesary. i used bolts with gas tape dont use too long a bolts as will rust in boiler.
the opening for the guide at the top needed a lot of grinding and then fileing flat as gudgeon pin slide for con rod would sieze. needs to be a good fit as even a slight bind will pick up.
the bush for the slider valve rod was also out and i turned the bush off centre to reduce the thickness at the top.
the only thing that i was a bit worried about was the the pivot for the reverser through the bracket was not not square through (off centre) still seems to opperate ok
as in the old days i think each bit was made to fit eventually grrrrr.
tom pettitt from east sussex.

tompettitt

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-10-03

Back to top Go down

wayshaft bracket Empty Perch Bracket

Post  Steve Traill Sat 29 Aug 2009, 10:06 pm

There is no gasket between the boiler and the perch bracket, it is into the smoke box so there is no pressure involved. There is a drainage hole in the smoke box for condensation to drain out for when you first light the fire it is prone to it. I tightened up the studs using the double nut method. sunny sunny
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

wayshaft bracket Empty Re: wayshaft bracket

Post  Waterways Sun 30 Aug 2009, 8:37 am

The reason i was asking as i seem to have a gap between the perch bracket and the boiler of about 1mm when clamped to the upper and lower guide. I did not want to bolt it down and create distortion if there should be a gasket/spacer between.

Keith

Waterways

Back to top Go down

wayshaft bracket Empty perch ?????????????

Post  BURRELL 4 Sun 30 Aug 2009, 12:15 pm

hi Keith the perch bracket holds the front axle to the smoke box i think you are talking about the wayshaft
bracket ........ i had the same problem so i made 2 brass shims to make up the gap ........ studs not sure if i got them or not but i have used 6 mm bolts for now i will sort that out when i paint the wayshaft bracket .................... i hope this helps ........... i will have a chat to steve next time i phone them ..................

steve

BURRELL 4

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-06-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Waterways Sun 30 Aug 2009, 5:17 pm

hi

Sorry i meant wayshaft bracket god knows why i said perch bracket must be going senile.

Keith

Don't know what he means "going"

Mrs Keith

Waterways

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Sun 30 Aug 2009, 7:32 pm

Hi Keith
On the 1st batch of burrells there was a gasket between the two which you can just about see in my picture the pinky coloured bit and i have just looked on the STW online shop and they are listing it in kit 12 part number BU41111 so i would of thought the 2nd batch would have it to i also would of thought the studs would be in kit 12 or the one before kit 11b maybe

wayshaft bracket SDC10703
wayshaft bracket SDC10705

Hope this is of some use

Cheers
Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Waterways Mon 31 Aug 2009, 7:45 pm

Thanks mark

seems like i need a gasket and some studs have to see steve/dean at dorset.
How are you getting on with Yours are you nearly finished.

Keith

Waterways

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Mon 31 Aug 2009, 8:05 pm

Hi Keith
Its coming along slowly! I bought the engine privatly it one hit with all the kits which were jumbled up, i spent a whole week last year when i got it putting all the bits into there own seperate kits and now i am getting on, i always seem to have a bit missing and its sods law its always the bit that needs to be put on first but Steve has been absolutly Fantastic in sending the missing parts of to me pretty quickly (Not free of charge incase any batch 1 builders are reading this and think i am getting free parts) That plus the usal house work and work in genaral i am planning on taking a week of soon just to work on the engine to get it pushed on but i am very pleased with it so far i have been taking that bit longer on certain parts just to get it running better which i think will pay of when its up and running.
Hopeing by Christmas it should be up and running Very Happy

Any pictures of how your engine is coming on?

Cheers
Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Waterways Mon 31 Aug 2009, 9:09 pm

Hi Mark

Thats one thing i have not got around to i will have to take some this week and post them. Painting has been a nightmare but i think i have got to grips with spraying now never done it before. Lately i have spent hours upon hours polishing the motion gear and other parts ready for nickel plating steve says every blemish will show so i only want to do it once, i am sure it will pay off in the end as you only have to look at steves steam trac.

Keith

Waterways

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Mon 31 Aug 2009, 9:35 pm

Keith this was my first attempt at spraying.
I did up an old grey fergie which i brush painted and always thought spraying gave you a better finish but after spraying the burrell i have desided to brush paint the Foden as it is less work and if you use the right brushes you do get a deeper shine and you get no overspray which has been a nightmere, everything in the middle workshop is absolutly covered including the other halfs push bike which i have been told i have to replace lol.

I would be interested to see pictures of your nickel plating i thought about doing this but deside not to bother just clean it up the best i could and just keep giving it a rub with an oily rag.

Look forward to seeing your pictures
Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Back to top Go down

wayshaft bracket Empty wayshaft bracket

Post  Waterways Sat 05 Sep 2009, 6:49 pm

Spoke to steve at dorset the studs and the gasket/spacer should have been with the boiler. So need to ring isabelle on monday.
I have had a problem with my differential gears meshing aparently you need matching gears from the first or second batch not a mix even though they were made from the same Drawing.

Keith

Waterways

Back to top Go down

Post  tef 20 Sat 05 Sep 2009, 9:14 pm

Hi Keith
Glad you got the studs and gasket sorted.

I wonder how you would of got a mix of bevel gears?? If they know they are different then they would have them in seperate boxes so cant see how they would of mixed them up.

Are you a batch 1 builder of batch 2??

Any joy with the camera yet? Very Happy

Cheers
Mark
tef 20
tef 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Waterways Sun 06 Sep 2009, 5:25 pm

Hi
They did not know they were different as the control model went together ok until a couple of us had a problem. The only difference is the second batch are cut slightly deeper. I am building batch 2. I Tried uploading photos yesterday then the site crashed. I will try again now.

Keith

Waterways

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down