Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Next Model

+8
calimods
ejparrott
BurrellSimplicity
Stu 18
HStannard
Arthur/ monty/ will
LiveSteam
Will@STW
12 posters

Go down

What would you guys like to see us produce next?

Next Model  Vote_lcap3%Next Model  Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]
Next Model  Vote_lcap17%Next Model  Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 6 ]
[ 1 ]
Next Model  Vote_lcap8%Next Model  Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 3 ]
Next Model  Vote_lcap19%Next Model  Vote_rcap 19% 
[ 7 ]
Next Model  Vote_lcap8%Next Model  Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 3 ]
Next Model  Vote_lcap11%Next Model  Vote_rcap 11% 
[ 4 ]
Next Model  Vote_lcap14%Next Model  Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 5 ]
Next Model  Vote_lcap14%Next Model  Vote_rcap 14% 
[ 5 ]
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 36

Poll closed

Next Model  Empty Next Model

Post  Will@STW Tue 08 Oct 2019, 2:56 pm

As suggested I have made a poll to see which of the suggested products people would like us to make next, this does not mean that we will not pursue the other products in the future, but will help steer us towards one in particular. (please note that when looking into the product further it might not be feasible, we will then look into the next most popular product). The poll will end in 30 days.

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2019-01-29

Back to top Go down

Next Model  Empty Re: Next Model

Post  LiveSteam Tue 08 Oct 2019, 8:32 pm

Surely you've missed an option out on the Poll Shocked

A full size traction engine cheers

Surely thats got to be the ultimate kit to put together bounce come on lets stop faffing about with this scale stuff and go LARGE Cool

LiveSteam

Number of posts : 777
Registration date : 2013-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthur/ monty/ will Tue 08 Oct 2019, 9:28 pm

I vote for a re run off the 6” Devonshire

Arthur/ monty/ will

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2019-09-30

Back to top Go down

Post  HStannard Sun 27 Oct 2019, 6:50 pm

I too would be interested in the 6" Devonshire.
HStannard
HStannard

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2011-11-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Stu 18 Mon 28 Oct 2019, 12:42 pm

What happened to the 6" Devonshire? I might have gone for that instead of the 4" SCC if it'd been around at the time.

Stu 18

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2017-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Tue 29 Oct 2019, 9:44 am

Stu 18 wrote:What happened to the 6" Devonshire? I might have gone for that instead of the 4" SCC if it'd been around at the time.

Unfortunately when the Devonshire was first launched it was not popular enough. We did not receive the 10 orders we require to get the first batch off the ground and so the project was then scrapped.

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Back to top Go down

Next Model  Empty 6” Devonshire

Post  Arthur/ monty/ will Wed 30 Oct 2019, 9:39 am

Thanks will
Is there a possibility of it being released again to find out if the interest is there this time
It seems talking to a few people it would be something that could possibly get the ten orders required
Thank you

Arthur/ monty/ will

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity Wed 30 Oct 2019, 11:04 am

I don't know why it was not popular! there are loads of the Edward George versions getting built!

I think it should be re-visited and see what happens with orders. things have moved on since that first trial sale of them and people want different things these days!! also there is a 6" Golf Medal that would be a nice size in between as the full size is relatively small. around the size of a 4" Mac if not a little bigger.

I think nowadays people want engines that are strong and fast on the road. so a DCC 3 speed engine is desirable.. I have heard that the 4" DCC I'm building from STW is very fast in top gear and that's great to hear!

although I have thrown a spanner in the works by buying a 6" Burrell DCC 8NHP  the "BIG" one from LSM the same as I'm building! time to buy a truck!!!

I am also surprised that you don't do a 3" Burrell, the 2" is too small and for some people the 4" is too big.. I cant help but think the 3" would sell well and I have always wondered why you have never done one!!

the other problem with some of the things you have listed. living vans etc is that they are huge.. way too big to fit in a van to go to a rally with the engine. these are concerns that all rally exhibitors face. can i get it there, will it fit and will I be over weight! as nice as a Pickfords low loader would be I can help but think not many people would want to cart that about and the market would be small and would be the same for the living van.

ploughing engines, as nice as they are they are slow and gear driven and noisy and again the market is limited.

Simplicity Rollers are a nightmare to fire with the canted boiler and firebox!

in short I vote for nothing out that list I'm afraid!  Shocked

The best bet is a middle of the road 6" (gold Medal) then a bigger 6" (Devonshire) should sell like hot cakes!!  or the single and SCC you posted on Facebook..

BurrellSimplicity

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2019-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Wed 30 Oct 2019, 11:55 am

BurrellSimplicity wrote:I don't know why it was not popular! there are loads of the Edward George versions getting built!

I think it should be re-visited and see what happens with orders. things have moved on since that first trial sale of them and people want different things these days!! also there is a 6" Golf Medal that would be a nice size in between as the full size is relatively small. around the size of a 4" Mac if not a little bigger.

I think nowadays people want engines that are strong and fast on the road. so a DCC 3 speed engine is desirable.. I have heard that the 4" DCC I'm building from STW is very fast in top gear and that's great to hear!

although I have thrown a spanner in the works by buying a 6" Burrell DCC 8NHP  the "BIG" one from LSM the same as I'm building! time to buy a truck!!!

I am also surprised that you don't do a 3" Burrell, the 2" is too small and for some people the 4" is too big.. I cant help but think the 3" would sell well and I have always wondered why you have never done one!!

the other problem with some of the things you have listed. living vans etc is that they are huge.. way too big to fit in a van to go to a rally with the engine. these are concerns that all rally exhibitors face. can i get it there, will it fit and will I be over weight! as nice as a Pickfords low loader would be I can help but think not many people would want to cart that about and the market would be small as would the be the same for the living van.

ploughing engines, as nice as they are they are slow and gear driven and noisy and again the market is limited.

Simplicity Rollers are a nightmare to fire with the canted boiler and firebox!

in short I vote for nothing out that list I'm a afraid!  Shocked

The best bet is a middle of the road 6" (gold Medal) then a bigger 6" (Devonshire) should sell like hot cakes!!  or the singe and SCC you posted on Facebook..

The reason the 6 inch didn't sell wasn't because it isn't popular as an engine, it is something much more difficult to overcome, the price. A 6 inch engine is very big and the castings are all very expensive, plus to warrant building it we need to make a profit on the engine. A lot of people said they would be interested in the Devonshire when we offered it, but when they heard the price they changed their minds, and that was with an extremely slim profit margin. I'm not sure why we never did a 3 inch as there is a gap in the market for one, however I assume it had something to do with fact the scaling down to a 2 inch meant that the drawings could all literally be halved to make them into the 2 inch (which is a similar reason for us considering the 6 inch agri). Personally I agree, I would never go as small as a 2 inch if I were buying one of these engines, but it is one of the 3 best sellers we have in our range. When we asked people on Facebook what they would like one of the most popular comments was a living van or a low loader or some form of accessory along those lines. The reason people do like it is because it would look good, and complete the road train that is made with our 4" trailers and water carts, as well as adding the opportunity to be more practical (giving extra space to carry coal, water and tools). Having spoken to Dean about this subject a lot over the last couple of weeks, it is looking more and more like we are going to possibly produce the 3" Fodens as a small Foden for people who can't manage a 4 1/2 inch, and one of the two 6 inch engines mentioned on Facebook yesterday as all these products would not require a lot of work to do.

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthur/ monty/ will Wed 30 Oct 2019, 11:59 am

What were the proposed cost of the 6” Devonshire?

Arthur/ monty/ will

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Wed 30 Oct 2019, 12:02 pm

Arthur/ monty/ will wrote:What were the proposed cost of the 6” Devonshire?

I will ask dean when he comes back to the office, but I suspect it would have been i the region of £50,000 for all the kits.

Thanks

Will@STW
Will@STW
Will@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Arthur/ monty/ will Wed 30 Oct 2019, 12:05 pm

Thanks Will

Arthur/ monty/ will

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity Wed 30 Oct 2019, 2:24 pm

I'd say that's cheap for one to be honest..!

BurrellSimplicity

Back to top Go down

Post  Stu 18 Thu 31 Oct 2019, 12:42 pm

Must admit I'd be hard-pushed to buy another engine without selling the 4" SCC first, and especially at 50 grand...
I'm sure I could stretch to wagons and trailers though.

Stu 18

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2017-11-07

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity Thu 31 Oct 2019, 4:58 pm

that's the problem you limit the market when they are so expensive, but then a medium size DCC (devonshire) seems to be fairly popular for Scratch building from Little Samson. Although, add up setting up a workshop to build one and your not far off the 50K including castings boiler and steel to make it.

so really 50K + is a bargain and your guaranteed to fly past any full size engine! Very Happy If i wasn't making a 6" Burrell DCC and just bought a finished 6" Burrell DDC i'd probably have bought one Very Happy

BurrellSimplicity

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 31 Oct 2019, 5:26 pm

Then theres the added issue with size is transportation, big means heavy which can scupper folks with only the limitations of modern UK driving licences, unless they go large on their licence.

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  BurrellSimplicity Thu 31 Oct 2019, 5:32 pm

yep i'm doing my truck test as i missed the "Grandfather Rights" Mad but you can put them on a 3.5 tonne trailer and tow with a Nissan Navara as long as you have your trailer license. you'd just have to kip in the trailer, car or tent and get back to being a boy scout!

BurrellSimplicity

Back to top Go down

Post  LiveSteam Thu 31 Oct 2019, 5:43 pm

BurrellSimplicity wrote:yep i'm doing my truck test as i missed the "Grandfather Rights"  Mad  but you can put them on a 3.5 tonne trailer and tow with a Nissan Navara as long as you have your trailer license. you'd just have to kip in the trailer, car or tent and get back to being a boy scout!

Dont forget the older generation get downgraded when they hit 70, and also those with medical issues, dont get me started on the latter as I'm one of those. I'd love a big ole 6" but a lot are up at 2T plus and my boy scout days are long gone Laughing so currently keeping an eye out for a Savage as they come in at around the 1T which means no change of vehicle, a slightly bigger engine with good road presence. I'v found one but currently its outside my price point Crying or Very sad

LiveSteam

Back to top Go down

Post  ejparrott Tue 05 Nov 2019, 11:40 pm

I was talking to a friend the other day, he wants to build a 6" Sentinel lorry, but he was saying how nobody seems to produce any model drawings for a Sentinel in any scale. Might be something worth exploring
ejparrott
ejparrott

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-09-27

Back to top Go down

Next Model  Empty re. next model

Post  calimods Wed 06 Nov 2019, 12:57 am

I thought you could maybe do a trailer for the 4 1/2'' and 6'' Fodens

calimods

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2010-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Burrell_in_Sussex Mon 11 Nov 2019, 8:40 pm

I would like to see a decent driving seat with a jockey wheel for the 4” Agri to prevent the front end lifting. Also a nice semi scale trailer suitable for carrying 3 or 4 people around.

Burrell_in_Sussex

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2019-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Midwest Steam Thu 14 Nov 2019, 9:50 pm

LiveSteam wrote:Surely you've missed an option out on the Poll Shocked

A full size traction engine cheers

Surely thats got to be the ultimate kit to put together bounce come on lets stop faffing about with this scale stuff and go LARGE Cool

No way! I’m having enough trouble with the 4”!! lol! lol!
Midwest Steam
Midwest Steam

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2018-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark the spark Fri 15 Nov 2019, 12:22 pm

One for the future possibly once the roller is out the way how about a 6" roller
In all my years going to rallies I have only scene one

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Goliewogs Fri 15 Nov 2019, 1:27 pm

Yes, I agree! The 6" Simplicity roller would be ideal! It's big enough, it is a real 6" model, simple to construct and simple to build and also simple to run! But, despite being 6" is manageable in terms of transporting and above all should be very profitable for STW in as much as cost would be reasonable to produce and affordable for the client, I would have thought. Forget the 'huge' 6" Fodens, Burrells, Devonshire or even full size (!!) - costs are going to be prohibitive and not viable. But, please bear in mind this poll is fairly useless as only 36 of the total customer base has bothered to express any interest or opinions whatsoever. The above obviously is only my opinion for what it is worth!
Greg

Goliewogs

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Will@STW Fri 15 Nov 2019, 1:44 pm

Goliewogs wrote:Yes, I agree! The 6" Simplicity roller would be ideal! It's big enough, it is a real 6" model, simple to construct and simple to build and also simple to run! But, despite being 6" is manageable in terms of transporting and above all should be very profitable for STW in as much as cost would be reasonable to produce and affordable for the client, I would have thought. Forget the 'huge' 6" Fodens, Burrells, Devonshire or even full size (!!) - costs are going to be prohibitive and not viable. But, please bear in mind this poll is fairly useless as only 36 of the total customer base has bothered to express any interest or opinions whatsoever. The above obviously is only my opinion for what it is worth!
Greg

Hi Greg

Because of the lack of response to this poll we have also been posting polls and questions on Facebook, and there have been a much higher volume of customers responding to these posts. I think for now a 6 inch Burrell is going to be the best way forward (partially because a lot of customers are begging for one, and partially because we know the agri so well, and with this being the first engine I have designed without Steve watching over my shoulder at any point, it is important to know that there will not be a high volume of mistakes), however as you say it will not be cheap, and whilst some people will read £50k and think "actually that isn't too bad," there are more people out there who seem to want the engines for a less realistic price, and they turn away at the mention of such a high price tag. So the first step we are taking for the 6 inch burrell is to get a realistic estimate on the price of large and expensive components from our suppliers. This will take a couple of weeks, however we are already 8 kits in out of 27, and some kits will then be split to make 36 kits to make the kit price a little cheaper. Once we have the pricing done it will be advertised, and then it will be down to the costumers as to whether or not we go ahead, if we don't get enough customers, then the project will not go ahead, but the design will remain in case we decide to revisit it in the future.

Thanks

Will
Will@STW
Will@STW

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down