Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using Up all that Coal Dust

2 posters

Go down

Using Up all that Coal Dust Empty Using Up all that Coal Dust

Post  hydro9 Fri 03 May 2019, 6:39 pm

If you're anything like me you'll have accumulated loads of coal dust (and small bits of coal) from the bottom of each coal bag you open. After two years of rallying my 4",  I now have about 20kg of the stuff.

I've been experimenting with trying to reconstitute 'coal' from this otherwise waste product. Results suggest that a mix of about 10:1
(by volume) with cement powder seems to work really well. The cement doesn't need to be anything special. Any old stuff you have around will do, providing it's not already solid. (TIP: Don't make the mix too wet)

After some trials I'm now using an old plastic office in-tray as a mould to form a kind of 'coal cake'. After leaving to harden for a few days, it
can easily be tipped out and broken into suitable sized pieces to fit through the engine firing hole.

It seems to burn well and the coal 'knobs' stay together well even in the full fire heat.  

Saves some money, with very little effort.

Enjoy!!

hydro9

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-04-20

Back to top Go down

Using Up all that Coal Dust Empty Re: Using Up all that Coal Dust

Post  Steve Traill Fri 03 May 2019, 10:23 pm

I bought five bags of coal 12 years ago when I first finished a 4" agricultural and haven't bought a bag of coal since. I must have about a ton + in store for personal use but most Rallies supply coal and need it to be all gone by the end of the weekend. Take a few empty bags! The small stuff I give to the 2" guys for their engines, the dust in the bin.
Steve Traill
Steve Traill

Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down