Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kits 7 and 8 - The Tender

+2
LilyJack
Big Al
6 posters

Go down

Kits 7 and 8 - The Tender Empty Kits 7 and 8 - The Tender

Post  Big Al Sun 16 Aug 2009, 4:34 pm

Just a bit of useful info for anyone getting to this stage for what it's worth

1. Use etch primer on the whole tender, you'll need it for the brass trims so you might as well do the lot

2. Araldate the bottom step and bottom winch bracket bolts in so they protrude from the inside (as in full size) that way the lower winch bracket wont get in the way when spraying/lining. They are covered in the black pitch so should be protected and not leak

3. Make sure you fit the water pump filter assembly BU20729 to the front most of the 2 brass fittings (SP 54205) and with the longest part of the thread uppermost. If you dont you wont be pumping any water to your boiler and will have to take the whole lot apart like i did!!

4. Dont fit the coalbunker till its all painted and lined. It gets in the way and can be fitted any time.

When you've done it, wrap it up and put it away, you wont need it for ages.

Alan

Big Al

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Kits 7 and 8 - The Tender Empty Re: Kits 7 and 8 - The Tender

Post  LilyJack Mon 17 Aug 2009, 12:26 pm

Cheers chap,

Thats prettttttty much jogged my memory from when we spoke at the rally,looking forwards ti cracking on with it next week now, lining tapes ordered too Very Happy although I suspect it's going to be quite a while before I need that Razz
And yup, I had already thought about the etch primer for the whole lot, more to save time arsing about with spraying,masking etc.

Thanks again on the information Al', much appreciated..

Best Regards,

LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Thu 27 Aug 2009, 10:37 pm

If I see another rivet this evening, I'm going to go and hit people. Wowweeeeeeeeee what a fiddly arsed job that tender is huh Neutral
Righty, other than a few minor glitches which will be sorted tomorrow by care of monsieur Steve, all's going well, but now I feel one or 6 Pedigree's are calling me...
Regards...
LilyJack Cool

LilyJack

Back to top Go down

Kits 7 and 8 - The Tender Empty Tender side straps..

Post  LilyJack Fri 28 Aug 2009, 10:27 pm

Well, had a minor hiccup with the side straps not fitting to clever around the back brackets and lining up down the side holes sooooooooooo,,
Had a trip to STW towers today, had a couple of cuppa's (once I'd pointed out some favouritism towards HughB by Isobel lol! ) , Ian promptly took me tender, added a bit of heat and took the straps down for me so a big TA VERY MUCH CHAP.
So now work can get under way again once I'm sober..

Ps: Bungle, due to my Pulling My Finger Out specially for you mainly coz we share a common love of sheep, I came away with kit 10 as well (ain't told the missus yet Shocked I'm not worried really!!! Okay, I'm shittin it, women eh!!)

Righty, on that note, hope you're all well and catch you later or Monday if anyones going. Take it easy..

Regards..

LilyJack Cool

Pps : Was nice to meet you HughB Very Happy (He's that friggin big I'd not dare say owt else but he's as ugly as me, Oh and Hugh, That wasp WAS on your arm when I hit you HONESTLY Razz )

LilyJack

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Sat 29 Aug 2009, 8:27 pm

LilyJack wrote:
Pps : Was nice to meet you HughB Very Happy (He's that friggin big I'd not dare say owt else but he's as ugly as me, Oh and Hugh, That wasp WAS on your arm when I hit you HONESTLY Razz )
Hi ho yes It was good to see you . But DO you want any one to see the pics of you busting up the prototype???? Very Happy
As for the wasp I did not feal a thing ..It was a good day thanks
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Tue 29 Dec 2009, 8:52 am

Another little hint for new builders.

Kit 8 refers to the Water valve elbows and filters pt BU20815. It does make loose reference in the instructions to applying "some jointing compound when it is finally fitted however this is probably best left until the water valve is fitted suppplied with injector kit"

The word "probably" should be replaced with "definitely" as the water valve itself needs screwing onto the elbow and will foul the tender body with the elbow screwed.

I glued the backplate BU20734 to the tender and when I unscrewed the 4 brass screws holding the elbow in, one snapped leaving the thread in the hole Crying or Very sad and after the other 3 came out the backplate started to come loose!

I have no idea why the bolt snapped as I cannot see the backplate but suspect its started to rust therefore making the thread tight. I did use plenty of the black sludgy paint inside to protect it so am not sure.

Anyway, refitted mine with broken bolt head glued in and luckily it is watertight.

Al

Big Al

Back to top Go down

Kits 7 and 8 - The Tender Empty Bunker

Post  IanR Sat 10 Jan 2015, 9:57 am

I hope people don't mind me resurrecting this old thread but I thought it better than starting a new one. I'm just finishing off putting the tender together and I'm considering not fitting the bunker divide at all. My thinking is that it will be easier to fire the engine without it. Just wondering what others who have run 2in engines think?

IanR

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2012-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Mon 02 Feb 2015, 1:00 pm

Having started this thread some years ago and finishing my engine which is lanquishing at STW somewhere. (must get up tehre and get it back!) I thought I would offer a suggestion to others who are in the stage of assembling their tenders

After finishing my build and firing it up I had constant problems with the injector, couldn't guarantee getting it to work every time and due to the small jet sizes they could block up easily, In retrospect I would have fitted a small hand pump to act as a back up in the event of the injector not working (sometimes due to low pressure) or the pump playing up (which is pretty reliable and assumes you have enough pressure to run the engine and haven't taken your eye off of the guages and fire for more than a few seconds.)

I have purchased a small hand pump and it is my intention to fit it in the coal bunker amongst the coal, to hide it a bit, then run the pipework to T into the pump with a non return valve. This would allow me to get water into the boiler quick and not rely on injector/pump

The requirement for boiler cert is to have 2 means of putting water in boiler, you dont want to fail because the injector or pump chooses to fail on the test.

So, if you are at the stage of completeing the tender, now is the time to add an auxillary hand pump should you decide.

Big Al

Big Al

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom2015 Sat 07 Feb 2015, 6:35 pm

Can anyone tell me when's the best time to paint the water tank with Isoflex? I should be receiving kit 8 mid month but can I seal and paint the tender before then? Any help or suggestions with these kits ie fitting brackets water pipes etc would help allot! Regards tom

Tom2015

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2015-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Sat 07 Feb 2015, 7:15 pm

Get the tender painted, and the bottom and flanges of the top and the filler strip.make sure all the bolts inside the tender are covered.
Steve H
Steve H

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2014-03-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom2015 Sat 07 Feb 2015, 7:31 pm

So I can paint and seal the tender before I receive and fit kit 8 Steve? Was hoping to paint the whole tender and seal the water tank but was unsure to wait until I get kit 8

Tom2015

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Sat 07 Feb 2015, 7:48 pm

I meant just the water tank, leave the primer till the water tank is sealed and tested leakproof.
I have just primed the whole of mine with etch primer.
When you come to fit the tender top be aware that the riv bolts near the 2 brass fillers are a pig to get in, I ended up cutting the ones I could not fit down and JB Welding them in place. Will try and post a photo later
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom2015 Sat 07 Feb 2015, 7:53 pm

Ideal thanks Steve will Isoflex my tender and front wheels when I'm next free then! Once checked if watertight would you primer and spray the tender? Pm me some pictures of what you've done so far if you like

Tom2015

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom2015 Fri 13 Feb 2015, 9:15 pm

Can any body tell me before I seal my tender for good what the empty bolt hole on the left side of the water tank is in front the pipe bracket? Many thanks tom

Tom2015

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Sat 14 Feb 2015, 9:13 am

It's where the Gear guard mounts later on in the build
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down