Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weighshaft Bracket

2 posters

Go down

Weighshaft Bracket Empty Weighshaft Bracket

Post  Heavyhaul Tue 14 Mar 2017, 10:15 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm part of the second batch of builders, building the showman's engine, and was wondering if anyone else has had problems lining up the weighshaft bracket with the top and bottom slide bars. And if so how was the problem resolved.

Regards
Steve (Heavyhaul)

Heavyhaul

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-01

Back to top Go down

Weighshaft Bracket Empty Re: Weighshaft Bracket

Post  lynnr Wed 15 Mar 2017, 9:38 am

You should have plugs that go on the end of the valve spindles. These are used to get the initial alignment. On Crystal I had to grind some metal off the bottom of the weighshaft to allow it to fit to the boiler. DO NOT remove metal from the boiler.

Once you have the spindles inline then you put the slid bars on. I used all the packing supplied and a number of Guinness tin shims to get the "flatness" needed. Get the block end fitted and gaped with the weighshaft end floating. Then work on the other end. I also used the cross slide block off the piston to get a feel for the slides then put the piston on and removed any tightness and off angles once the slides were basically parallel to each other.
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Weighshaft Bracket Empty Weighshaft Bracket

Post  Heavyhaul Wed 15 Mar 2017, 10:21 am

Morning Lynn,

Many thanks for the information, I spoke to Steve at STW this morning and he said that they've had to machine upto 3mm off the bottom bracket in some cases. Going to recheck the valve spindle alignment and take it from there.

Regards
Steve (Heavyhaul)

Heavyhaul

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2013-07-01

Back to top Go down

Weighshaft Bracket Empty Re: Weighshaft Bracket

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down