Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2nd shaft issues

2 posters

Go down

2nd shaft issues Empty 2nd shaft issues

Post  sonick45 Sun 25 Sep 2016, 9:44 am

I thought I would ask the question on here before I go bothering Steve just in case i'm not the only one.

I have been fitting the gear train onto my engine and have come up against several problems with the 2nd shaft.

Firstly the key way for the main drive gear has only been cut half the width of the gear on the shaft. bearing in mind the forces placed on this gear I would prefer if the key way held the full width of the gear.

Secondly the other end of the shaft (the three gear end) has been cut round with a key way, and the boss plate it slides into has also been modified this way. On other engines i've worked on this is square and slots into the boss which then bolts onto the outside face of the gear cluster. This is also how it is explained in the instructions.

Has anyone else found this change in design?
I also don't have the key way for this as it does not feature on the component list.

I get the impression this shaft may be for another engine such as the single crank or other but I may be wrong.

your thoughts?
If i'm the only one this would explain the issues.

Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

2nd shaft issues Empty Re: 2nd shaft issues

Post  Kiwiconnection Sun 25 Sep 2016, 9:27 pm

Nick.

Steve changed the design of the second shaft from square to round a while ago. STW had a problem with concentricity regarding the square end to the round bearing surface, as I found out early in my build. I have the square drive and it posed a major fitting exercise to get things aligned, with Steve’s help. As for the key not fitting at the other end speak to Steve, they will probably replace the shaft or modify the existing one.
Kiwiconnection
Kiwiconnection

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Sun 25 Sep 2016, 9:34 pm

Cheers Phil. I've been building my personal engine around those for others and some components are first batch model. Whilst others have been modified. What you say makes sense so I will. Just get the keys way made longer. Just wanted to check. I will get Steve to change the instructions son they make sense to those not in be know.

Thanks.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down