Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newbie Topic - 4" Burrell, SCC or Agricultural

4 posters

Go down

Newbie Topic - 4" Burrell, SCC or Agricultural Empty Newbie Topic - 4" Burrell, SCC or Agricultural

Post  NemoKESR Sun 31 Jan 2016, 8:42 pm

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the traction engine world in terms of owning or building, however I have a keen interest in them.

Now, I would quite like a 4" Burrell. However, I do not know which to have - a single cylinder agricultural or a single crank compound?

Obviously the agricultural is cheaper than the SCC, but are there advantages to having an SCC? More power? Greater economy?

Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated.

Will

NemoKESR

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-05-04

Back to top Go down

Newbie Topic - 4" Burrell, SCC or Agricultural Empty Re: Newbie Topic - 4" Burrell, SCC or Agricultural

Post  gwr1475 Sun 31 Jan 2016, 9:15 pm

I would go for the SCC. Its a compound so yes more power, better economy, belly tanks, higher working pressure etc. They are a little bigger. I also like the look of the tall cylinder blocks.

Personally I would spend the extra money, you get a lot more engine for the extra money.

mark
gwr1475
gwr1475

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2012-11-18

Back to top Go down

Newbie Topic - 4" Burrell, SCC or Agricultural Empty Re: Newbie Topic - 4" Burrell, SCC or Agricultural

Post  NemoKESR Sun 31 Jan 2016, 9:48 pm

An extra £2000 seems a lot for a bit more power and a bit more economy. Is it really worth it?

I agree that the cylinder block looks better. Also, for the STW SCC is it possible to leave the motion guard side plate things (whatever the proper name is) off the loco. I like having the motion exposed.

NemoKESR

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim the Shovel Sun 31 Jan 2016, 9:55 pm

I was in the same position last June. I like the look of the Agricultural with the open flywheel and the valve gear etc in full view.
But then thought the SCC is a far better engine and the difference in price per month is £27. That equates to two pints of Newcastle Brown per week. Recon I can live with that.
I am now on kit 10 of the SCC and all is going well. If I had gone for Agricultural I think I would have regretted it.

Regards

Jim
Jim the Shovel
Jim the Shovel

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2015-06-30

Back to top Go down

Post  NemoKESR Sun 31 Jan 2016, 10:06 pm

I like the flywheel in a way but at the same time I prefer the solid flywheel with no spokes. I much prefer exposed motion however.

As a random aside, once you've started do you have to have all the kits within a certain time period? Or can you go as and when you can afford the kits?

NemoKESR

Back to top Go down

Post  ChriX Sun 31 Jan 2016, 10:28 pm

You could absolutely leave the motion covers off; you'll have a couple of holes in the horn plates and block for the mounting brackets, but you could easily bung these up before painting if you were sure you never wanted to fit the covers.

Regarding your second question I think at this point all options are open but speak to Dean for the latest.

Welcome Smile
ChriX
ChriX

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2012-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post  NemoKESR Sun 31 Jan 2016, 10:56 pm

Thanks Chris.

I watched the whole of your video series yesterday from start to finish. Your SCC is looking really nice, I can't wait to see the finished loco!

Thank you for the information everybody.

NemoKESR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down