Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Likamobile Boiler

4 posters

Go down

Likamobile Boiler Empty Likamobile Boiler

Post  Chas Mon 22 Jun 2015, 9:35 pm

My Likamobile Boiler has gone bust, no big bang or explosion, it just started leaking water via the Burner! I've found the hole, it seams to have rusted through, right in thr middle of the tubes, I think it is impossible to repair. Now I'm looking for a replacement boiler, if anybody knows of one for sale please let me know.

I hope you all carry on steaming this sommer as I can't any more,

Charles
Chas
Chas

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-06-21

http://www.sonnen-ueberbrille.de   www.fahrradspiegel.biz

Back to top Go down

Likamobile Boiler Empty Bust Likamobile Boiler

Post  Chas Tue 25 Jul 2017, 4:47 pm

Chas wrote:My Likamobile Boiler has gone bust, no big bang or explosion, it just started leaking water via the Burner! I've found the hole, it seams to have rusted through, right in thr middle of the tubes, I think it is impossible to repair. Now I'm looking for a replacement boiler, if anybody knows of one for sale please let me know.

I hope you all carry on steaming this sommer as I can't any more,

Charles

My Likamobile boiler first started leaking in June 2015, there were no answers to my Post and I couldn't find a new boiler. I also couldn't find a company able to build  a new one. After a few months I found a local Welder and convinced him he could repair the old one for me and he did a good job. I had the work accepted by the authorities (German TÜV). The Lika ran OK for the next 2 years and in June 2017 had sprung 3 new leaks! I assume it is totally rusted through this time. I am now looking again for a Co. capable of building me a new Boiler. At the moment I am asking for offers from 3 different Manufacturers.

Does anybody else need a new boiler?

Happy Steaming,

Charles
Chas
Chas

Back to top Go down

Likamobile Boiler Empty Bust Boiler

Post  Goliewogs Wed 26 Jul 2017, 9:19 am

Hi,
Silly question - have you spoken to STW? As you probably know the new Lykamobile boiler is completely different (fire tube instead of water tube) and a new batch are due to be constructed sometime soon for the Lykamobile Mk2 - PERHAPS STW could ask the boiler makers to slip in another order for you! Problem solved!! I hope so.
Greg

Goliewogs

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Likamobile Boiler Empty Re: Likamobile Boiler

Post  rene1746 Wed 26 Jul 2017, 9:55 am

I might be interested BUT would need it certified for use in UK with proper CE markings,test certificate etc. Have you the proper drawings with design approved by RSA,with material specifications etc? Thanks

rene1746

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Lynn@STW Wed 26 Jul 2017, 10:11 am

Hi All

It is not a simple build and replace for the early Likamobile boiler. The fundamental design has been changed from a water tube to a fire tube boiler. Giving a much better life expectancy.
The new boiler design is bigger so the Chassis, woodwork, seat etc have all been designed bigger to accommodate the new design.
The plumbing is also different.

Lynn@STW

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2017-07-19

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Likamobile Boiler Empty Boiler

Post  Goliewogs Wed 26 Jul 2017, 10:21 am

So, thats that! Not possible since reading Lynn's email - everything has changed! If it was just plumbing then not a problem, but size is!!

Goliewogs

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2016-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post  rene1746 Wed 26 Jul 2017, 12:17 pm

Lynn,if the original boiler design is no longer being used,is it possible to buy a copy of the drawings and/or recommend some one to build a new one,perhaps the original manufacturers ?

rene1746

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Chas Tue 01 Aug 2017, 4:01 pm

Thank you Lynn@STW, Goliewogs & rene1746, for your comments.

1. I have spoken to Steve at STW about this Problem and I think I'm up to date. 2 years ago the oldest German Boiler Makers made me an offer of EUR 7,800.00 net to make a new boiler, at the time I thought they dreamt up this very high price to put me off ordering a boiler from them, they succeeded!

2. The original manufacturer was, I believe, Model Works.

3. My new boiler, if ever built, will be in accordance with the European standards which are, I think, AD2000 and CE markings, test certificate etc.

4. I do have the original drawings (thanks to Steve) and have given a copy to the various Co.s who are making me an offer, 1 in UK, 2 in Germany and 1 in Austria (who will use S.S.).

5. I think Steve said STW would be building the new boilers for the MK 2 and the design is ready for acceptance by the appropriate UK authority.

6. On my old boiler the tubes about the 1/4 full mark have failed, I can't see the holes only the water dripping out when under pressure. Whilst the vehicle is moving the water is slopping fore and aft in the tubes causing the tubes to suffer rapid temp. changes which must be detrimental to the life of tubes. I also heard from somewhere that this was a problem a hundred years ago in the original Locomotives. Maybe vertical water tubes would be better.
Chas
Chas

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down