Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has anyone used A Beugler Paint Lining Tool

4 posters

Go down

Has anyone used A Beugler Paint Lining Tool Empty Has anyone used A Beugler Paint Lining Tool

Post  chas12154 Mon 09 Mar 2015, 10:21 am

Hi, Charlie here once more after advice Very Happy Has anyone used a Beugler Lining Tool to line their 2" Burrell?
I've been doing some research in to lining, as my free hand lining isnt the best😢 I have read that it maybe fiddly to use on a 2".
I haven't started my build yet but thought a bit of forward planning would be a good idea!

Can anyone Help?

Charlie

chas12154

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used A Beugler Paint Lining Tool Empty Re: Has anyone used A Beugler Paint Lining Tool

Post  Steve H Mon 09 Mar 2015, 2:03 pm

I looked at one and tried one at a show,but decided to go for Finesse Lining tape instead.
If you look at my thread on the owners pics page I have used it on the wheels,the paint does bleed a little but the lines are crisp.If you are interested will send you the Part Code for the one I used.
Regards
Steve H Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2014-03-07

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used A Beugler Paint Lining Tool Empty Has anyone used A Beugler Paint Lining Tool

Post  chas12154 Mon 09 Mar 2015, 2:21 pm

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. Yesa would like the part code of the one you used. The tender corners are my main worry, straight lines you can use lining tape for.
I guess with practice it will get easier Very Happy

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Has anyone used A Beugler Paint Lining Tool Empty Re: Has anyone used A Beugler Paint Lining Tool

Post  Steve H Mon 09 Mar 2015, 2:33 pm

chas12154 wrote:Hi Steve, thanks for your reply. Yesa would like the part code of the one you used. The tender corners are my main worry, straight lines you can use lining tape for.
I guess with practice it will get easier Very Happy

Charlie
Will pop the code on here later,when I get home.
The corners I have tried on a bit of scrap metal and with a bit of perseverance and a steady hand I managed to get a reasonable effort.Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Mon 09 Mar 2015, 2:37 pm

Thanks steve. Where can I find your pics?

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Mon 09 Mar 2015, 2:48 pm

Have a look in Owners Photos under 2" Build "Hephaestus" Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Mon 09 Mar 2015, 2:56 pm

"Have a look in Owners Photos under 2" Build  "Hephaestus"
Thanks steve, they look great. What colour green have you used?
Im thinking of green too but with chocolate brown for wheels

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Mon 09 Mar 2015, 3:25 pm

The Green is Craftmaster "LNER Doncaster Green" and the Brown is "Middle Brown",both paints are from there Model paint range.
The wheels were hand painted, Primer,Undercoat and 2 coats Top coat,and when I have "Tarted" the lines up I am going to add a couple of coats of varnish.
The rest of the it I am hoping to Use an airbrush on,once I have had a play as I have not used one since I was a kid,tried hand painting the hornplates but was not happy with the finish.
Steve Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Mon 09 Mar 2015, 3:36 pm

Im going to hand paint all of mine. Like the full size ones.
Ive more or less decided to use Burrell colours, Canopy Green, for engine and Chocolate Brown for wheels. Not sure what colour for lining yet. Thinking of Cream or yellow.
What colour undercoat did you use under the green?

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Mon 09 Mar 2015, 3:48 pm

Used grey through out,paint covers well.
Was advised by Craftmaster to use the Model Range as Coach Range does not come in small quantities, and did not want to be left with loads spare Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Mon 09 Mar 2015, 3:54 pm

Thats a good point, hadnt thought of that!
Might have to rethink my colour choice. How much paint do they recommend is needed?

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Mon 09 Mar 2015, 5:24 pm

I purchased 250ml Tins and think that I will have enough to complete, but if not would rather just buy another small tin to complete and to use for touch ups rather than have a load left over to go hard. Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Mon 09 Mar 2015, 5:32 pm

The Finesse tape that I used on the spokes was F-21 which is 2 stripes and I also purchased F-26 which is a 3 stripe tape.
Craftmaster paints sell them or you can get them on Fleabay they come in lenghts of 42 Feet, so you should have loads to practice with like I did and enough for the Engine.
Hope this helps, if you want to see some drop me a PM and I can stick a bit in the post.
Steve Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 8:37 am

Thanks steve very helpful. I'll get in touch with Craftmaster paints and chat with them when I start my build.
So much to think about isnt there! My poor brain cell is worn out!!!!!

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Tue 10 Mar 2015, 12:51 pm

I did purchase a beugler and played around with it especially on the wheels but found that due to the size of the beugler wheel and relatively small size of the model, the beugler was no use on the wheels as it fouled the outer edge of the rim when you needed to put the curve on the spoke in.
Ended up using finesse tape all round

Alan

Big Al

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Tue 10 Mar 2015, 1:24 pm

Hi Alan, thanks for your reply, I have come to the conclusion that finesse tape is the way to go. Did you do the curves with the tape to?
Im thinking of doing two lines on my wheels and one around the tender and one either side of the brass on the boiler.
Dont want it looking too fancy as its a working engine.

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Big Al Tue 24 Mar 2015, 1:17 pm

Chas

Been on holiday hence late reply
Yes I did use the tape, if you are carefull it will 'bend' as it is plastic so you can stretch it into a curve if carefull

Alan

Big Al

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Tue 24 Mar 2015, 3:41 pm

Hi Alan, hope you had a good holiday.
Thanks for your reply. Will get some tape and have a practice with curves.
Getting things sorted in garage now, will be getting my bench etc, then get on to Dean to get my first kit sent out. Cant wait to start my build.

Many thanks, Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  LilyJack Mon 08 Jun 2015, 8:17 pm

Lining tape for me was the way forwards.. PLENTY of patience is required and, when applying the paint, DO NOT load the brush up, it WILL seep under the lining tape, use a little at a time and gradually build it up..

LilyJack

Number of posts : 236
Registration date : 2009-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Tue 09 Jun 2015, 6:56 am

Hi Lilyjack, I have decided to use lining tape too. I think it will be easier due to the size of the Beugler tool.
Im going to go to the Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition in October. To take a look at the various types of lining tapes there are and to get the right size of tape. Will be good to see other models and the trade stall there too.
Thanks for your reply.

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down