Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

im thinking of buying the 2" Burrrell in kit form.

5 posters

Go down

im thinking of buying the 2" Burrrell in kit form. Empty im thinking of buying the 2" Burrrell in kit form.

Post  chas12154 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 11:06 am

Hi all, hope someone can give me some advice. Im thinking of building the 2" Burrell. Ive never built a model like this before. Im not from an engineering background. Ive been reading some your posting and am hoping someone can give me some idea who difficult or easy it is to build. I have in the past had some experience with full size traction engines. I understand from reading about the Burrell, that I would only need hand tools to build it. Can someone help me?

Many thanks chas

chas12154

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2015-01-21

Back to top Go down

im thinking of buying the 2" Burrrell in kit form. Empty Re: im thinking of buying the 2" Burrrell in kit form.

Post  Steve H Wed 21 Jan 2015, 11:25 am

Have a quick look at the thread "Hand Tools" bit further down ,I think it will answer alot of your questions
Steve H Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2014-03-07

Back to top Go down

im thinking of buying the 2" Burrrell in kit form. Empty im thinking of buying the 2" Burrrell in kit form.

Post  chas12154 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 11:28 am

Thanks Steve, I'll have a look Very Happy

chas12154

Back to top Go down

im thinking of buying the 2" Burrrell in kit form. Empty Re: im thinking of buying the 2" Burrrell in kit form.

Post  Steve H Wed 21 Jan 2015, 11:38 am

Basic hand tools,small set of metric and BA spanners,Dremel and you are rocking.
Enjoyment guaranteed
Steve H Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 11:42 am

Im very much hoping so!!! Need something to keep me out of mischief!!! Cant find what you have said to look at, where do I find it on the site?
Steve

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Wed 21 Jan 2015, 11:53 am

Look down on the 2" posts and there was one with a title Hand Tools
Steve H Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 11:56 am

Ok thanks Steve for your help. All I need to do now, is convince the wife that buying it will be good for me!!!Very Happy

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Wed 21 Jan 2015, 11:59 am

Unfortunatly I cannot help you there,but if you want any other help give me a shout.I am just waiting for kit 11 and have loved every minute of the build so far.
Heres hoping you manage to convince her
Steve H Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 12:07 pm

Think Im on a winner really, Ive planted the seed, now waiting for it to germinate! She has said " if it makes me happy I can have it" Im waiting to hear back form Stream Traction Engine World of up to date prices. Can I ask, what paint youve used and have you sprayed or hand painted?
I think I maybe in touch quite a bit if I do get the model for advice as Im a complete novice to building models.

Chas

chas12154

Back to top Go down

im thinking of buying the 2" Burrrell in kit form. Empty 2" Burrell Builders

Post  Mike King Wed 21 Jan 2015, 1:26 pm

I am a new builder, and am on kits 4&5 the rear wheels. I have enjoyed the past couple of months.
i am a totsl newcomer to steam. There will be lots of advice on this forum. No one puts you down, if you ask what you think
is a mundane question. My weakness is painting, but im starting to get there. I am using Craftmaster paints. Craftmaster are also good for advice.

Mike

Mike King

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2014-09-04

http://www.mikekingphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

im thinking of buying the 2" Burrrell in kit form. Empty 2" Burrell Builder

Post  chas12154 Wed 21 Jan 2015, 1:33 pm

Hi Mike, thanks for your reply. Its good to know that Im not alone in being a novice! Ive looked on the Craftmaster site this morning. When I take the plunge and order my model, I'll be on here a lot looking for advice, Im sure I will find the help I need. So far, Ive found people very helpful.

Chas

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  IanR Thu 22 Jan 2015, 3:53 pm

chas12154 wrote:. All I need to do now, is convince the wife that buying it will be good for me!!!Very Happy  

Or perhaps convince your wife it would be good for her! Smile

Only things I would add to the list of tools:
Hand electric drill with good set of metric drill bits - essential
Metric and BA taps & dies - sometimes quit useful

Hope you go for it. I'm on Kit 8 at the moment. Really quite impressed with the quality and having great enjoyment from it

IanR

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2012-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Thu 22 Jan 2015, 4:15 pm

Hi again,
I bought a set of Rolson small metric combination spanners, which i bent in the vice to form a offset. This was perfect for tightening the rear wheel rivet nuts.
Mike

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Thu 22 Jan 2015, 4:34 pm

Hi IanR, I think Ive convinced her Laughing I think your right, it will be good for the both of us, she's very good at making the coffee!!!.

I have hand drills and will be looking into getting bits and pieces together before I order my kit. Its very helpful reading from others of here, Im picking up some good advice. the Metric BA taps n dias, where do I get them from? And what size do I need in both metric and BA?

Thanks everyone for your help and advice

Chas

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Thu 22 Jan 2015, 4:40 pm

Hi Mike, thanks for you advice, Im taking it all in. Hopefully im a few months I'll be ordering my model. Im having to sort out the garage to make room to build it. The wife wants the kitchen and garden sorted first, then I can get my order in and start my build.

Chas

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  IanR Thu 22 Jan 2015, 4:55 pm

Hi Chris. I think I've only used 3mm, 8BA & 6BA taps so far. I made the big mistake of buying cheap taps on ebay. They were too brittle and had a couple break inside holes. Impossible to remove. So go to one of the reputable model engineering suppliers. I think the last ones I got were from Chronos who have a good online store.

Ian

IanR

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2012-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Thu 22 Jan 2015, 5:00 pm

Thanks Ian, thats good to know. Will look on there

Charlie

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve H Thu 22 Jan 2015, 7:01 pm

Try RDG Tools for BA Taps, good price and good quality.
www.rdgtools.co.uk
Steve H Very Happy
Steve H
Steve H

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Thu 22 Jan 2015, 7:54 pm

I reckon maybe, persuade the Mrs to take a trip up to Daventry with you and visit STW. (By arrangement) i think she'll be so amazed, that she will forget all about the kitchen.😅 Mike

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiwiconnection Thu 22 Jan 2015, 8:11 pm

A visit to STW towers in Daventry is always worth the time and effort, Isabel makes a grand cuppa and always likes to give away the biscuits to visitors rather than let Steve or Dean have any. Laughing
You will find a hive of activity, with a workforce that takes a great deal of pride in the products they produce. Always a good thing when convincing the powers that be to lighten the purse strings. Smile
Kiwiconnection
Kiwiconnection

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike King Thu 22 Jan 2015, 8:17 pm

It certainly worked on my mrs. The bonus for her is she see's less of me!😀 Mike

Mike King

Back to top Go down

Post  chas12154 Thu 22 Jan 2015, 10:24 pm

Many thanks to Phill, Mike and Steve for suggesting of where to look for tools.
I think your right about taking a trip to Daventry, will be good to see where the models are produced. Will have to work on the wife now to come with me:D

chas12154

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down