Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

blanking plates and plugs to test cylinder block.

3 posters

Go down

blanking plates and plugs to test cylinder block. Empty blanking plates and plugs to test cylinder block.

Post  sonick45 Sat 25 Oct 2014, 3:07 pm

I have been meaning to do this for ages and I am finally in a position to have a go.

I have a 1st gen cylinder block and before I start on the final completion would like to test the block under pressure.

I have searched hi and low for a post that listed the sizes of the plugs needed for the boiler but can't find it again.

Can someone who has already tested the block or is in the know let me know what sizes I need and quantities.

I intend to fill the boiler up with water full up into the block up to the regulator.

I already have a blanking plate for the safeties and intend to pump in from this plate.
I also have plates for the whistle and simpling valve in/outlets.
Are there any others I have missed that need blanking off?

I have looked into the blast pipe and it appears there is some disturbance in the casting similar to that of several others that have failed.
I want to be sure mines ok.

Thanks
Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

blanking plates and plugs to test cylinder block. Empty Re: blanking plates and plugs to test cylinder block.

Post  lynnr Sat 25 Oct 2014, 4:15 pm

Hi

Off my head. 3/8 BSP I got from Amazon at Here

Just checked my order history. Yes these are the ones.

You can also use a standard air compressor fitting on the spare hole in the block next to the mechanical lubricator.
Have you got the starter valve fitted or blanked off?

Make sure the grub screws are in with thread sealant of some sort.
Only other place is the drains or are you stopping at the regulator block?
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

blanking plates and plugs to test cylinder block. Empty Re: blanking plates and plugs to test cylinder block.

Post  sonick45 Sun 26 Oct 2014, 9:05 am

Thanks Lynn,

I have the starter valve and the smaller whistle outlet blanked off. I plan to add pressure through an adapted blanking plate lent to me by Brian W. All I want to do is test the internal cores of the block near the blast pipe so I will need to blank off the drains too.

I think its best to blank or plug everything.

So far this is the list of holes I need to seal off with threaded plugs.
BOILER - wash out and blowdowns - back head outlet for injector and gauge - The hole on top where the dummy manhole fits.
BLOCK - Drains

I can make blanking plates for the clacks and the regulator rod.

sonick45

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Mon 27 Oct 2014, 6:04 pm

Nick

You need to blank the regulator hole itself if you have no regulator. Otherwise it will come through the steam passages, piston bores and out through the exhaust. That way the only way you get anything out the exhaust passage is if there is a leak.

To blank the regulator hole you can drill and tap the adaptor plate I lent you, put a bolt in the hole with PTFE around it, use it to clamp a steel block over the hole preferably with some form of gasket material under it too. Blank the regulator rod holes too if you do this. If you have the regulator, no worries, you can fit that instead.

Cheers

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Tue 28 Oct 2014, 6:05 pm

Brian, I'm going to blank off the regulator rod holes and adapt the plate you lent me. Did you pump water in through this plate?
I think I will pump in through the 1/4" whistle inlet.

Having collected all the relevant sized plugs today I have one problem. The Steam Head has threaded holes that are not standard sizes.
I think the feed to the injector is 5/16 and I have no idea on the feed out of the top to the pressure gauge. My local fixings shop couldn't help me. Sad

Does anyone know the correct size and thread measurements for these please.

As soon as the steam head in sealed off I am good to go.

Thank you.
Nick

sonick45

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Wed 29 Oct 2014, 12:20 pm

Nick

We pumped through the adaptor plate on top, it is the highest point too.

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Wed 29 Oct 2014, 8:21 pm

cheers. i will do the same.

sonick45

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down