Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HP Piston Lock Nut

2 posters

Go down

HP Piston Lock Nut Empty HP Piston Lock Nut

Post  Flasback Fri 03 May 2013, 9:16 pm

Just for reference today I was steaming the engine when I heard a large bang from the engine of metal on metal. It was not till I removed the front cover on the cylinder block that I found the problem. The lock nut had come lose from the piston shaft and the piston had given the nut a big whack against the front cylinder cover a few times; so now I have a very flat M12 lock nut. Looking at the impact components I don't think the cylinder bore has been damaged or the piston itself (fingers crossed). I suggest that it is worth a check once in a while as these nuts were fitted by STW as part of a pre-assembled piston (not moaning) in Kit 13.

It's a bit of a pain if you have a SM as you have to remove the generator platform etc.

When it happened I thought it was the shaft for the slide valve i.e. problem that Kev had.

Dwain

Flasback

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

HP Piston Lock Nut Empty Re: HP Piston Lock Nut

Post  Steam Traction World Fri 03 May 2013, 10:16 pm

Thanks for pointing this out Dwain. I'll talk to Steve about on Tuesday & give everyone an update then.

I will also add a cylinder update over the weekend for those hoping to hear some good news.

All the best

Dean

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback Sat 04 May 2013, 8:06 am

Cheers Dean, time I found the problem it had gone 5 O'clock therefore I could not ring Steve and let him know. With it being the Bank Holiday weekend I thought people will be steaming and its worth a check just in-case a cylinder bore gets damaged if the nuts comes off.

Dwain

Flasback

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down