Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weight: useful to know for transport requirements

+10
Kevster
mikero
Robfishman
Flasback
lynnr
MrStationHouse
Dan
Brian M
highpressure
Tim Watson
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Weight: useful to know for transport requirements - Page 2 Empty Re: Weight: useful to know for transport requirements

Post  sonick45 Thu 17 May 2018, 10:54 pm

Did anyone eventually get a fully finished, fully laden engine weighed..?

I'm sizing up trailers and ramps.

My current set up is :

An inherited twin axle 8x4 trailer originally used for a 4" DCC but the smaller, less heavy variety. its a good trailer but I need a slightly bigger one to accommodate wagons in the future.
wooden ramps that came with the trailer. Not sure how much more stress these will take and don't want to find out either.. They flex slightly when under full RL load.
A 2000lbs winch which although it gets the engine on and off is easily on it's limit.

I have replaced the winch with a 3500lbs one. Soon to be fitted.
I will eventually replace the trailer using funds from the sale of this one. probably go for a 10x5 twin.

The ramps are the sticky bit. Aluminium ones are crazy money. Like near the same cost as a second hand trailer ?!
I have been looking at steel variants which are much more affordable and I can beef them up easily with a mig and some mild bar.

this is why I could do with knowing the weight of the engine. Then I can gauge/balance gross weight of ramps to extra strengthening required.

Any help assistance would be most appreciated.

cheers
Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Weight: useful to know for transport requirements - Page 2 Empty Re: Weight: useful to know for transport requirements

Post  Tim Watson Thu 17 May 2018, 11:09 pm

Aluminium ramps are so much easier to use than heavy steel, Nick. I got mine from Sara in Hemel
Hempstead and found their prices reasonable. The Showman’s engine weighs in at 650Kg. My all up trailer weight (as you saw on our London run) is iirc 1750kg.

Tim
Tim Watson
Tim Watson

Number of posts : 585
Registration date : 2008-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Thu 17 May 2018, 11:15 pm

Thanks Tim.

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2