Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4" Burrell Front tyres

4 posters

Go down

4" Burrell Front tyres Empty 4" Burrell Front tyres

Post  DavidH Fri 14 Nov 2008, 6:51 pm

Are my tyres too small?? There is no way I can even begin to stretch them on! I have read that the difference in circumference between rim and tyre should be 1 1/4 inches per foot of rim diameter. This equals 1 5/8 inches for the 15" front rim. The rim circumference is 47 1/8" and I have measured the I/D of the tyre as best I can as 44". ie a difference of 3 1/8"!!
If the tyres are in fact correct does anyone offer a tyre fitting service??

DavidH

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

4" Burrell Front tyres Empty 4" Burrell front tyres

Post  Steel Steam Sat 15 Nov 2008, 9:30 am

Hi DavidH,

I thought the same as you when I went to fit mine - just no way! However with the help of a friend we developed a technique and both tyres slipped on. I live near the South Coast (6m south of Petersfield) so you may think coming down from Warwickshire is too far but if you fancied a day out to visit me I would be happy to help you fit them.

David.

PS - tyre levers are essential. They are supplied in the kit - have you got these?

Steel Steam

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

4" Burrell Front tyres Empty 4" Burrell Front tyres

Post  DavidH Sat 15 Nov 2008, 6:38 pm

Well-I've done it! I wouldn't have believed there was 3" of stretch in the tyres but by use of G-clamps,blocks of wood,several tyre levers and a big wooden mallet I managed to beat them on - dry. I don't really want to take them off again now in order to use adhesive so I think I will prototypically put a few bolts through from the inside of the rim to stop them shifting. Happily I had the rears vulcanised!
DavidH

DavidH

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-11-14

Back to top Go down

4" Burrell Front tyres Empty 4" Burrell front tyres

Post  Steel Steam Sun 16 Nov 2008, 3:42 pm

Well done! If you have managed to fit the tyres dry you will find refiiting them with adhesive much easier. The problem I found is that they slip off easily too! I got round this by loose fitting a number of cable tie wraps around the rim and tyre and as I (we!) worked round easing the tyre on tightened them up to stop the tyre slipping back off. I think you will find it worth the effort and less time consuming than driiling and fitting bolts.

Make sure the tryes and rims are warm before you start and begin with the tyre join so that it is not subjected to the final strain.

Good luck with whichever method you choose!

David.

Steel Steam

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

4" Burrell Front tyres Empty 4" burrell fron tyres

Post  highpressure Sun 16 Nov 2008, 10:47 pm

Hi David

I fitted mine dry some time ago and left them on the rim to stretch so when I came to glue them on it made it much easier. I also chose to do it on a day when the weather was very warm and I soaked the tyres in a bath of water as hot as I could get it. They went on easily and I was on my own.

Regards Kevyn.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

4" Burrell Front tyres Empty Re: 4" Burrell Front tyres

Post  Steam Traction World Mon 17 Nov 2008, 11:40 pm

Hi all

I think most questions have already been answered, so thanks to David and Kevyn. I just want to add a little bit. The greater the stretch, the less they're likely to come off! Not so much of a problem for the front wheels, but its best to be safe than sorry. I can confirm that they do go on much easier with the adhesive. It acts as a lubricant, but like David has mentioned, the tension can 'spring' them off as well, so the use of the cable ties is a handy tip.

You shouldn't need to use anything other than the adhesive on the front tyres. I've heard of many (but not all) rears coming adrift, but so far no fronts.

Regards

Steve

Steam Traction World
Admin

Number of posts : 946
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.steamtractionworld.co.uk

Back to top Go down

4" Burrell Front tyres Empty Re: 4" Burrell Front tyres

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down