Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK I give up. How do I shape striping tape to follow the shape of the tender?

4 posters

Go down

OK I give up. How do I shape striping tape to follow the shape of the tender?  Empty OK I give up. How do I shape striping tape to follow the shape of the tender?

Post  Brian M Sun 05 Jun 2011, 5:17 pm

Having been at this task for most of the day, I cannot get a straight piece of tape to follow the shape of my tender (as seen from the side view). I have tried to heat-up the tape, add small pieces together, all have been to no avail. Evil or Very Mad

As most of the pictures of the engines on this forum have the lining on that follow the shape, I know it can be done.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Brian M
Brian M
Brian M

Number of posts : 261
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

OK I give up. How do I shape striping tape to follow the shape of the tender?  Empty Re: OK I give up. How do I shape striping tape to follow the shape of the tender?

Post  highpressure Sun 05 Jun 2011, 5:49 pm

There seem to have been two methods, mine was to use gentle persuasion by trapping the tape on the tender under a finger or thumb and the gently pulling the tape round the curve to stretch it very gently. It does need a little repositioning sometimes to get it right and I also use a rub out tool to tidy up odd straggly bits after applying the paint. I have only gone round the corner at the bottom of the tender, traditional lining went straight across the gap where the step is. The other method I have seen discussed but not tried is to use a compass with blades in to cut a curve section out of clear but Sonick45 has used this I believe to good effect and can advise better. It is a very painful process at first but practice makes perfect apparantly.

Good luck and persevere.

Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

OK I give up. How do I shape striping tape to follow the shape of the tender?  Empty Re: OK I give up. How do I shape striping tape to follow the shape of the tender?

Post  sonick45 Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:58 pm

The technique Kev has mentioned I have used to good effect in places and marked out the line with a china graph pencil first to use as a guide.
I found that it you place a finder where you want the bend to start and then pull the tape as though to stretch it.. Just as you feel it giving slightly move your finger along the tape to stick it down . continue this practice all the way along the curve you require. If you mark out teh curve first with a china graph pencil it helps keep a good profile.

I have also used the cutting compass and masking film extensively. I have found it bleeds very little leaving crisp lines.
I used this technique for the tender curves. I first did all the straight lines using tape. I then set the compass to cut the right curve and stuck the cut film up to the straight lines I had painted and let dry over night. I was a little concerned about the matching up of the paint but you can't notice the joins at all.

I was contemplating bringing the compass cutter and masking film to the open day to show those who may be interested.

Taken with flash... makes the paint look a horrid colour...
It was also mentioned in another thread about engine stands. You can see one been used in this photo.
OK I give up. How do I shape striping tape to follow the shape of the tender?  File-27

Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M Fri 10 Jun 2011, 3:16 pm

Thanks for the tips, I will let you know how it goes.

All the best,

Brian M
Brian M
Brian M

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Fri 10 Jun 2011, 10:22 pm

Hi guys

I love this thred but not posted on it as i hve built a 2" engine ..I have just had rust like what the tender Mad .
We have got it all apart and I when fixed going to repaint the hole thing .I did use a burgle tool not not so good..
Thanks and good luck Hughb Very Happy Cool
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M Mon 13 Jun 2011, 7:41 pm

Hi All,

The advice given by Nick (Sonic) and Kev was very useful. I tried it this weekend and it worked great, so thanks for that. Very Happy

I will post a few pictures soon.

All the best,

Brian M
Brian M
Brian M

Back to top Go down

Post  Brian M Mon 13 Jun 2011, 7:44 pm

hughb wrote:Hi guys

I love this thred but not posted on it as i hve built a 2" engine ..I have just had rust like what the tender Mad .
We have got it all apart and I when fixed going to repaint the hole thing .I did use a burgle tool not not so good..
Thanks and good luck Hughb Very Happy Cool

Not a problem. Any thread on this forum can be useful, post away. Enjoy painting Smile
Brian M
Brian M

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down