Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Horn plate Alignment

2 posters

Go down

Horn plate Alignment Empty Horn plate Alignment

Post  highpressure Fri 11 Mar 2011, 6:26 pm

Just thought I'd let people know I got my new improved alignment kit including fire doors today and it has all gone together with minimum fuss and effort!!! Very Happy Considering all the various bits that have been machined to get to this point it shows that the attention to fit and finish is superb cheers The crank dummy turns just nicely and all is done up EFT (engineering term for quite tight Laughing )

Onwards and upwards, once the tender is back on and I have got all the fiddly bits in plce I will take a few more piccys.

Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Horn plate Alignment Empty Re: Horn plate Alignment

Post  Rickster Sun 13 Mar 2011, 6:09 pm

Hi All,
Quick update -

After leaving out the 2nd shaft before fitting the firedoors, I had to take the hornplates off anyway as the right hand side top corner of the shaft that faces the RH crank bearing was touching and stopped me lining up the bolt holes so had to file it down a bit.

The fire hole door handle then rubbed on the bolts of the 2nd shaft bolt heads where the two parts of the shafat join, preventing full opening. A few tweaks in the vice and it's all fine now.

I Had to re-align the hornplates all over again though after finally fitting the 2nd shaft,. I needed to adjust the LH crank bearing with the grub screws to enable the alignment tool to turn in the bearings, but not as easily as before I fitted the 2nd shaft. It still turns but not what I would call ''freely''. Previously I could almost spin the tool 360 degrees in one go but now It needs firm hand pressure to turn. Does anyone know if this is acceptable? After 10 hours in the garage yesterday, I've gone snow blind so to speak!!

Also now done three top coats on one back whee, just the three to do on the other. Winter evenings just fly by!

I'll post some pics later

cheers

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Sun 13 Mar 2011, 9:41 pm

Steve mentions in the instructions that he would consider JUST being able to turn the crank acceptable. I suspect that this is because once the momentum of the fly wheel is added and the bearings have bedded in it will all be fine. I could barely move the axle in the shaft once fitted but I can push the engine about with very little effort due to the turning force of the wheel.
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down