Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

horn plates

3 posters

Go down

horn plates Empty horn plates

Post  hippy dave Wed 08 Jan 2014, 8:41 pm

Evening all just been out in garage cleaning rust of front mudguards and horn plates, roll on summer, just wondering what colour people are painting horn plates/dash I was thinking of the same as body colour but then thought should the bottoms be heat proof black as they will be around boiler Laughing 
hippy dave
hippy dave

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2011-07-31

Back to top Go down

horn plates Empty Horn plates

Post  Ptolomy Thu 09 Jan 2014, 8:14 pm

From what I remember of the full size one I have driven, they were black and they were still the original paintwork for an engine with its original livery of green. I am thinking of painting them satin black (heat resistant) and also the footwell of the front water tank.

Ptolomy

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-12-14

Back to top Go down

horn plates Empty Re: horn plates

Post  Tony King Fri 10 Jan 2014, 8:47 am

Hi Dave,
If the STW traction engines are anything to go by, then you don't need to worry about heat resistant paint on the horn plates, as, unlike on the "real thing", the horn plates are bolted to the boiler & are not actually the boiler sides as they would be on full size, thus they actually don't get hot at all!!
I would imagine black paint in the area of dummy rivets & stay ends etc where the paint would get hot on full size, then body colour everywhere else!
Just my thoughts!!
Regards,
Tony

Tony King

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-10-31

Back to top Go down

horn plates Empty Re: horn plates

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down