Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amount of paint needed

4 posters

Go down

Amount of paint needed Empty Amount of paint needed

Post  Kevster Thu 27 Jan 2011, 6:55 pm

Hi everyone,
I finally took the plunge and decided to build the road loco version,first few kits arrived today and my word they are big and heavy! but sure look good.
Got to make some room now before I start the build.

I was wondering how many litres of paint I need to get i.e primer ,undercoat and top coat,I will be using craftmaster paint.

Any help will be most welcome.

Thanks

Kev

Kevster
Kevster

Number of posts : 424
Registration date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

Amount of paint needed Empty Paint

Post  lynnr Thu 27 Jan 2011, 8:16 pm

Hi

If you have a look at my photo thread. I have used 1 ltr undercoat for spray gun, 1 ltr red top coat, 1/4 ltr gloss black, 2 500ml cans of spray satin stove black, 2 500ml cans of etch primer.

I am expecting to use 1ltr top coat red, 1/2 ltr gloss black, 1/4ltr bright red for motion area.

Hope this helps
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Amount of paint needed Empty Re: Amount of paint needed

Post  Kevster Thu 27 Jan 2011, 8:59 pm

Thanks Lynn,

That gives me a good idea of the amount I will need.

Been admiring your build photos, keep them coming please.

Thanks

Kev
Kevster
Kevster

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Fri 28 Jan 2011, 5:32 pm

Kev

Welcome to the clan, I am building the road loco too. Yours almost makes it 50/50 on the take up now. There were 2 more showmans then RL last time I looked at the list on the STW notice board.

I spoke to Craftmaster for mine, they are aware of the STW engine sizes and dependent on your colour scheme they can advise. I am brush painting and we got 2 litres grey primer, 2 litres black undercoat and 2 litres black coach paint plus a 250ml tin of smokebox matt black. As you can probably guess ours will be black but with much less lining than The President, just red and gold

My daughter and nephew (SAC members) have chosen a Pirate name for it, Blackbeard so the rivet counters will be upset. especially when we will be flying a small Jolly Roger from the numberplate bracket on the chimney base.

Regards

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Fri 28 Jan 2011, 6:13 pm

Thanks for the reply Brian,

I havnt made up my mind completely on the colour but thinking a shade of red is favourite at the moment.

Like you I dont want to go too mad with the lining maybe a yellow/ black or yellow/vermillion combination but thats yet to be decided, I need to practice doing it first though!
I have not tried craftmaster paint before but have read its good stuff and easy to apply and get a good finish so will try brush painting as much as I can.

Dont worry about the rivet counters its your engine so you can do what ever you want to.

In the process of clearing some space so I can tackle the rear wheels,it sure looks like its going to be a fair size engine when finished.

Thanks

Kev

Kevster
Kevster

Back to top Go down

Post  Flasback Sun 30 Jan 2011, 7:18 am

Hi Kev,

I think the showmans are now in the lead as they have all been sold, I think my brother and I brought the last two kits yesterday,we were told that STW maybe doing some more kits due to the interest. We were very interested in the tour, what a place. We both had the look of kids in a toy shop and having our pocket money in our hands making a hole. The showman built to-date looks very impressive and I can't wait to start next weekend on kit 1, you underestimate how big the showman is when you see it for the first time. Very Happy

Flasback

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2011-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevster Sun 30 Jan 2011, 7:47 am

You are right there,
its very big it makes my 3" Burrell look like a mamod, these engines are going to look very impressive once finished.
I am not surprised they are all sold out.
At the end of this build i will have arms like popeye I reckon!

All good fun though

Kev
Kevster
Kevster

Back to top Go down

Amount of paint needed Empty Weight training

Post  lynnr Sun 30 Jan 2011, 9:17 am

Kevster wrote:You are right there,
its very big it makes my 3" Burrell look like a mamod, these engines are going to look very impressive once finished.
I am not surprised they are all sold out.
At the end of this build i will have arms like popeye I reckon!

All good fun though

Kev

Hi Kev

Yes you are correct. Arms like popeye without the spinach!

I can just lift a rear wheel but not up on to the workmate. The tender is just carriable. So once 2 items are bolted together the engine is solidly on the ground from that point on. I am thinking of installing an overhead block and tackle on a RSJ to assist with the building.

lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post  bjwlancashire Sun 30 Jan 2011, 8:13 pm

I recently purchased one of those engine hoists with an extendable arm for the assembly/lifting. I got the 2 ton capacity one which still gives half a ton lift at full extension - very important with limited access in the garage. It also came with a engine balance to make sure we can position lobsided things accurately. With this capacity at least I can raise half the engine at worst case, the whole thing if necessary.

I just put the perch and pivit bracket onto the smokebox today and flipping this over is enough effort when trying not do damage the paint!! Took some pictures of the front end minus wheels as it is painted, I will try and upload some one day.

Brian
bjwlancashire
bjwlancashire

Number of posts : 938
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down