Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Paint and who from

5 posters

Go down

What Paint and who from  Empty What Paint and who from

Post  hudmut Mon 05 Jul 2010, 10:00 pm

Hi all

Would just like to ask what paints you are all useing on your boilers and smoke box ect. As i orded all the kits to day and will be making a start in the next week. And as i will have my boiler at work i would like to start painting it right from the word go. So what do you use and how do you get it from

Stu
hudmut
hudmut

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-07-05

https://s249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/hudmut/My%20little%20se

Back to top Go down

What Paint and who from  Empty Re: What Paint and who from

Post  Waterways Tue 06 Jul 2010, 7:21 am

Hi Stu
I Used Halfords Heat resistant gloss paint you do not need an undercoat and it sprayed very well.
You can also get it in matt. It air dries quite quickly but i did put the smoke box and chimney in the oven to harden.

Keith

Waterways

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2008-06-26

http://www.waterways-direct.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hudmut Tue 06 Jul 2010, 9:22 pm

Hi Keith

Thank you for your in put. I was going to use PJ1 witch is what iv used on my motor bikes in the past but after looking at the price of it all and how many tin's i would be needing i was starting to go over to look at the Craftmaster Paints or stove paint but i want satin not matt. What is you take on this how many spray can's did you use ?

But the one thing i don't want to use is a brush to paint i just don't like seeing the the marks you get when doing this. So has any one tyred using a roller to but on the paint if using paint from out of tin's.

Oh and one more thing do i need to go as high as the VHT paint or will 250c be up to the job ?

Thank you once more

Stu Shocked
hudmut
hudmut

Back to top Go down

What Paint and who from  Empty paints

Post  Rickster Wed 07 Jul 2010, 8:08 am

Hi Stu,
I've used craftmaster for all my painting needs so far. I have sprayed it with the addition of their thinners of around 20% depending on how warm it is.

They are brilliant I have to say - very heavily pigmented and sprays really easily - i've never sprayed before building this engine.

The lining enamels are really good too - nice and stiff to prevent any bleed through (i've used lining tapes from Pinstriping UK and Frost for the wider ones on the wheel spokes) The Pinstriping tapes also goes round quite tight curves with a lot of thumb pressure but it can narrow the line if your not careful and slow with applying them.

I used craftmaster VHT for the smoke box and chimney, and it sprayed just as well if not easier than their normal paint. I didn't thin it at all and sprayed it in the garden. It goes off in about an hour and I then baked the parts in the overn at 180% for about 20 mins, taking the temperature up at 60% intervals. I don't know if this is necessary, and also let them cool slowly.

The smoke box held it's heat for about an hour outside before I could touch it with bare hands.

hope this helps

cheers

Rick

Rickster

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Wed 07 Jul 2010, 9:15 pm

Hi love the post Laughing Very Happy
I am a 2" bulider and my paint came from REEVES sonke box
And charry paints

Hope this helps and good luck DO post some pics
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

What Paint and who from  Empty What paint and who from

Post  Steel Steam Thu 08 Jul 2010, 11:43 am

Hi Stuart,

I used High Temperature engine paint (black gloss) from Halfords on the boiler. I brush painted it directly to the cleaned metal but did not achieve a very good finish because it seems to dry so quickly. The instructions on the tin do warn not to go back over areas already painted. On the boiler the finish is not too important because very little can be seen. If I was doing it again however I would spray it. Other items I have finished by spraying with the same paint have come up really nicely. Dilute the paint 3 parts to 1 of white spirit before spraying.

On the chimney and smoke box I used Plasti-Kote aerosol BBQ paint applied direct to the metal on advice from Plasti-Kote. They have a very good customer support department by the way. I found it easy to achieve a satisfying satin finish and there is no cleaning of equipment required afterwards! The finish is holding up well although the paint is staring to rub off certain raised parts (like rivet bolt heads) where I have rubbed over with a cleaning cloth. It may be that I did not clean the metal sufficiently before spraying.

Hope this helps - good luck with your build.

David.

Steel Steam

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post  hudmut Sun 11 Jul 2010, 9:16 pm

Well after reading what you have all put iv been and got my self some plastic-kote in matt as that is all they had as well as some primer. But as of yet no one has said any thing about using the primer. Should i use it or are you boys putting colour right on top of bear metal.

Oh i all so asked about putting my smoke box in the over mmm lets say i cant do that and i don't thing i should put the answer on here for you to read it might up set a few people. As i all so no not to let her find out that you have half a motor bike engine in the dish washer.

But so you all no i have the model its all sat in the work shop but man i think ill be finding that foam packaging for years to come it gets every wear and every brown bin in the street is at busting point now from all the cardboard

hudmut
hudmut

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down