Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lining the tender

4 posters

Go down

Lining the tender Empty Lining the tender

Post  highpressure Mon 26 Apr 2010, 6:30 pm

Thought I'd share a fairly easy way of acheiving a good finish on lining the various bits. This is my way and not necessarily true to correct widths scaled down, but it looks good to my eye and thats what counts. As I stated elsewhere I have used finesse linig tape and I use the thinest one they do F55 which is supposed to be 1/64". In reality its probably a bit wider but I like the very fine line. I use a rule to draw out the line with a chinagraph pencil to get it accurate and then lay the tape on the inner edge. This will allow the second inner colour to be painted at the same time without needing to retape later and keeps avery consistent width between the thin line and the triple. I tape up the other side of the triple with the 3M tape which is VERY flexible. This is shown in the first picture.

Lining the tender Lining10

Then I paint the two colours. The tape needs to be taken off pretty prompt as they recommed this to stop it snagging the paint if its dry. This picture shows the top with the tape in place and the bottom with the tape off.

Lining the tender Lining11

Then after a couple of days, and this has been in the conservatory for the weekend which has really roasted it, I tape the inside of the red to paint on the gold central line. With a bit of time and effort it can get a really clean and neat line and can be adjusted as many times as needed to get the positioning right. I did try the Beugler but it was just too messy and you need to go with confidence. I couldne get the start and stop right and it used loads of paint which then needed cleaning out. This is a much calmer process and having done quite a lot this way ( I lined the previous Burrell this way and did the boiler twice having redone the paint over the winter) it takes less than an hour to prep and paint the tender as shown.

Lining the tender Lining12
highpressure
highpressure

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-06-18

http://www.simplydigitalaerials.com

Back to top Go down

Lining the tender Empty Re: Lining the tender

Post  highpressure Wed 28 Apr 2010, 2:57 pm

Finished off the gold line today so heres the picture of the final result.

Lining the tender 100_5311
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  greystones Wed 28 Apr 2010, 4:19 pm

Just one word Kev BRILLIANT Mike
greystones
greystones

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2008-06-16

http://greystonesholidays.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  hughb Fri 30 Apr 2010, 5:38 pm

HI How can I put it Cool WOW Shocked looks good well done
hughb
hughb

Number of posts : 575
Registration date : 2009-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Thu 06 May 2010, 6:36 pm

Had the day off today as the kids school is a polling station so got around to finishing off the lines on the wheels. Still have the torturous exercise of fitting the tyres to look forward to though. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Lining the tender 100_5312

Running out of bits to paint lines on now though!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  sonick45 Thu 06 May 2010, 9:32 pm

Hugh,

lining looks spot on..

One word of warning thou.....

The tyres are really messy to put on..

trust me, been a virgin to isoflex and tyre stretching, you will be smearing the black goo everywhere.

Make sure you cover those lines before you pop the lid on the liquid rubber or you will be wasting all that time you took painting those lovely stripes..

Nick

sonick45

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post  highpressure Fri 07 May 2010, 4:19 pm

I did the previous wheels this way too, so I'm pretty confident it should be OK. I havent lined the inner faces yet so I might put them on from the other side. I'll let you know of the outcome.

Kev.
highpressure
highpressure

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down