Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6" Foden questions

3 posters

Go down

6" Foden questions Empty 6" Foden questions

Post  Phaetonfun Tue 04 Jul 2023, 4:27 am

Hi ,   I am new to this Forum and will soon have a 6" Foden.  I am fairly steam savvy, but I have a few Foden questions that some may consider naive. The problem is that I am a Brit living in Michigan where Foden's are like hen's teeth, and the only exposure that I have of them is on Youtube.
     . Why do Foden's not have drain cocks? I know that Foden traction engines have them.
     .I see Foden's with electric lighting, but the engines do not have generators. Do people rely on the single charge of a battery, and what is the set-up?
     . What are people's experiences with burning anthracite (which is what I will be forced to burn) instead of steam Cole.
     . Has anyone had the problem of the engine filling both steam chests thereby locking it up? I have an acquaintance in the U.S who has an answer to this problem.
     . Has anyone had the problem of the lubricator clutch slipping?  From what I am aware, I think that I may fit a Foster.
 I will have many questions but as this is my first attempt at testing seasoned Foden enthusiasts' patients. I will, leave it at this.

Why am I going for a Foden in the U.S, some may ask?  In the 1920s all trucks (lorries) were ether gas or diesel and so for an American to experience a steam wagon of the period will be very unusual. I attend many classic car shows with my cars and I want to promote our heritage of steam. Why do I want to do this?  When at a U.K steam rally an elderly gentleman was lovingly firing up his 4" traction engine when a little kid (the toughy of the bunch) asked "Oy, mister, does that work by battery?
Enough said,       Regards to all, Nigel       (Phaetonfun)

Phaetonfun

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2022-03-31

Back to top Go down

6" Foden questions Empty Re: 6" Foden questions

Post  Mark the spark Wed 05 Jul 2023, 6:58 pm

Hi
Most people are using the facebook group page now so i would suggest you join that
In answer to your questions
If the engine locks the slide valves lift off the face to release the preassure
If you fit electric lights you will need a battery or fit oil lamps like i did
If you make a blower nozzel around 14mm in diameter you can burn just about anything
I have NEVER had the steam chests fill with water
And i have fitted a foster lubracator
Mark

Mark the spark

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2015-04-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Phaetonfun Thu 06 Jul 2023, 4:18 am

Hi Mark
Thank you for answering my questions, it is very much appreciated.
I will do as you suggest and join Facebook. I can imagine that a blower of that size could run a blast Furness ,and it would certainly give me leeway  to learn about the burning characteristics of anthracite. From what I understand (and I could be wrong) it burns hotter ,to a fine ash ,and you do a lot more shoveling.
Great to have a Forum like this where people like you will help us newbies.

Phaetonfun

Mark the spark likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  moztech Wed 09 Aug 2023, 10:34 pm

I don't have any lighting at present but plan to add some that are minimally intrusive to the aesthetic and those will be powered by a rechargeable battery, modern lithum based batteries hold so much charge it'll last longer than I'm likely to need.
I second Mark's comments that I've changed to use a Foster lubricator on mine and as long as the one-way valve is kept clean it seems to work well.

Good luck with your engine.

Alan

moztech

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2019-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Phaetonfun Thu 10 Aug 2023, 3:15 am

Hi Alan
Thank you for your input, much appreciated.  I am still considering what type of lights to fit . I do have some small  appropriate looking lights that I could use as indicators but here in the U.S, turn signals are often considered optional.  A friend of mine asked "What is the most useless job ever initiated?  Answer, Fitting turn signals to BMWs.
I would also like to fit a low wattage vintage cab light to monitor things in the office.
Regards Nigel     (Phaetonfun)

Phaetonfun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down