Steam Traction World
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Want To BE Owner With Some Questions

4 posters

Go down

A Want To BE Owner With Some Questions   Empty A Want To BE Owner With Some Questions

Post  creator276 Wed 03 Dec 2014, 4:50 am

hey all i am thinking about buying the 4'' scc burrell could some one please tell me what tools and skills would be required to complete the kits for one of the traction engines? and what is the best type of paint to use on the traction engine?

creator276

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-12-03

Back to top Go down

A Want To BE Owner With Some Questions   Empty Re: A Want To BE Owner With Some Questions

Post  Kiwiconnection Wed 03 Dec 2014, 7:11 am

Hi
Where abouts are you in NZ. Two of us who are building 4" DCC showmans and Road Locos and are based in Tauranga. STW kits are the Dogs with regard to assembly and support. So go for it. If you need any help just let us know.
Kiwiconnection
Kiwiconnection

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2011-10-25

Back to top Go down

A Want To BE Owner With Some Questions   Empty thanks

Post  creator276 Wed 03 Dec 2014, 7:18 am

thanks so much i  in the wellington reign  i do have to wait now for a while before i buy/ build because just had to buy house

i really appreciate you offer i will take the offer up some time soon in the future
so what tools would you recommenced get to construct the TE ?
and what skills would be good to know before starting ?

creator276

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-12-03

Back to top Go down

A Want To BE Owner With Some Questions   Empty Re: A Want To BE Owner With Some Questions

Post  lynnr Wed 03 Dec 2014, 7:03 pm

Hi

Please come aboard the good ship STW and have a steam up.

I have placed a couple posts about with tooling required for building these magnificent machines.

One here

and

More serious
lynnr
lynnr

Number of posts : 3242
Registration date : 2010-08-06

Back to top Go down

A Want To BE Owner With Some Questions   Empty SCC 4"

Post  Simon B Wed 03 Dec 2014, 7:05 pm

Hi

I'm nearly half way through building my 4"SCC. So far I've used hand tools, screw drivers, Allen keys, files, emery paper, spanned, hammer, by far the most useful tool has been an angle grinder with abrasive wheels and flapper wheels on my drill to remove mill scale. So far the kits have gone together really well, once I had to use a friends lathe to modify the front axle slightly but that was probably due to me not fitting a bearing bush properly before the bearing adhesive went off.

I've used craft master paint thus far thinned slightly with their own thinner and have come up with quite a good finish, at the moment I'm torn between spraying the wheels, hand painting them or getting them powder coated, decisions decisions!

So far the build has been relatively simple and good fun but I probably have another 16/ 17 months left before It will be finished.

I hope the above helps.

Best wishes

Simon
Simon B
Simon B

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2014-01-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down